Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 from my well-used but faithful 4S.

I'd put off upgrading the operating system on my 4s, but as of now it's running 8.3.1. I then did a fresh back-up of my 4s.

I also upgraded my 6 to 8.3.1 immediately on receiving it.

I backed up my 4s to iTunes(12.1.0.5 on OS X 10.9.5), and then attempted to restore the backup to the 6. When I try to get do this the restore seems to proceed normally for a few minutes, but I then get the below message I get the below message in iTunes

I've been able to get my apps, contacts, and photos transferred over, but at least in the past when I got a new iPhone(about 3 years ago) I was able to transfer all my preferences and everything else over to the new phone. At this point, I'd like to-if nothing else-get my text messages/iMessages transferred over.

Any thoughts on what's going on-or at least if what I'm doing is not possible how I can transfer my messages over to the new phone. It would also be great to transfer my email accounts without having to manually re-enter them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 9.08.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-28 at 9.08.35 PM.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 84

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I just upgraded to an iPhone 6 from my well-used but faithful 4S.

I'd put off upgrading the operating system on my 4s, but as of now it's running 8.3.1. I then did a fresh back-up of my 4s.

I also upgraded my 6 to 8.3.1 immediately on receiving it.

I backed up my 4s to iTunes(12.1.0.5 on OS X 10.9.5), and then attempted to restore the backup to the 6. When I try to get do this the restore seems to proceed normally for a few minutes, but I then get the below message I get the below message in iTunes

I've been able to get my apps, contacts, and photos transferred over, but at least in the past when I got a new iPhone(about 3 years ago) I was able to transfer all my preferences and everything else over to the new phone. At this point, I'd like to-if nothing else-get my text messages/iMessages transferred over.

Any thoughts on what's going on-or at least if what I'm doing is not possible how I can transfer my messages over to the new phone. It would also be great to transfer my email accounts without having to manually re-enter them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hmm, that's strange. Did you make sure the latest backup was successful and didn't stop halfway? Other than that, I'm not sure what would cause that. :rolleyes:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Not sure what exactly is going on, but I decided to try the backup and restore on another computer. I backed up to my white MacBook running 10.10, then restored my new iPhone from that same computer. It worked perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.