Trouble with new SanDisk Firewire 800 SDDRX4-CF acting sluggish!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by chupacabra31, Aug 22, 2011.

1. chupacabra31 macrumors member

Hello,

Okay so I just bought a second hand SanDisk Firewire 800 compact flash card reader from ebay. Unfortunately it did not come with the cable. I thought no big deal as I have two firewire 800 cables one came with my back up drive from OWC (I think a high end one they sell for $20 looks similar) and one from a western digital my book studio edition back up drive.

The weird thing is that my old SanDisk SDDRX3-3IN1 USB 2.0 card reader is actually faster transferring data by 40 seconds.

I used my sandisk extreme III 8.0 GB cf card for the test holding close to 1gb of data.

The test consists of me dragging and dropping the EOS100D folder to my desktop then waiting.

This is using my sole computer which is a late 2010 13" macbook pro loaded with 8gb ram, SSD drives OSX 10.6.8

So do you think this could be caused from not having the OEM cable? This is a nightmare, I thought how cool it was that I got a firewire 800 card reader in the hopes of faster transfers to my computer and its actually slower!

2. chupacabra31 thread starter macrumors member

Well said cables work fine with my back up drive which has firewire 800 and usb connections. The firewire transfer was more then 2x faster then the usb transfer using the same drive, so I think one could rule out the cable being the problem no?

Maybe part of what helps the sandisk is their OEM proprietary firewire cable?