Trouble with new SSD on MBP i7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mach1andy, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mach1andy, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010

mach1andy macrumors regular

I picked up an 80 GB Intel x25-m yesterday and installed on my 15" i7 MBP but could not get the Snow Leopard disc to show up holding option, and tried "c" at boot.

As a work around, I tethered the MBP to an iMac via firewire and installed Snow Leopard on the MBP but after, it would display the apple logo but not boot.

I believe I have the latest EFI. Would anyone suggest rolling the EFI back to a previous version? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance. -Andy

2. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Sounds like you are trying to use the IMAC install dvd, or a dvd that wasnt meant for the MBP.

You need to use the MBP dvd. Its not booting probably because of this also.

3. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

It's just a regular OEM Snow Leopard Install Disc.

4. walshlink macrumors regular

I don't think you need the "Option+'C'" keystroke..."C" should be enough to boot from CD...

5. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

You have to use the one that came with the MBP.

6. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Meant to say I tried both-- neither yielded a result.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

hmmm...did you erase and format the SSD? It needs to be formatted to Extended Journal (Mac).

8. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did that- GUID partition as well.

9. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Well, idk man. Sorry. Maybe you should try the install again. I mean erase and format again, install, the whole deal. It's a pain, but Idk anything else to do. Perhaps someone else with some wisdom will be able to tell you.

10. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your advise. I wiped it about 4 or 5 times and tried the install-- nothing :) It's mounted, able to be formatted, etc, just won't boot-- thought it could be an EFI firmware issue.

Attached Files:

11. preppy macrumors member

preppy

This is correct. This happened to me when I swapped my SSD into my MBP. My first go around, I tried the SL disc and thought I installed/formatted the SSD incorrectly. Then I found a thread on here telling me to use the System disc that came with my MBP. Sure enough, it worked.

Reason: The SL disc is an older version than the System install disc that came with your MBP and for some reason, your MBP is smart enough to know that. Just stick in your System install disc and hold down C during boot up, it'll work fine.

Good luck.

12. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

After re-reading, this guy is on to it. You said you held Opt-C....just hold C when installing.

13. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Ah. I'll give it a shot when I get home in a few days unless anyone can think of another way...

14. sebgreen macrumors regular

Def just "c"

Recently carried out same upgrade. Just hold c key as soon as you power machine on. You should hear disc drive spool up and read disc.

I used a SL disc, not the original one that came with mac and it worked fine.

15. mach1andy thread starter macrumors regular

Problem solved: I needed the original install disc (but apparently) a 10.6.4 or higher disc would have worked too, to support the i7 core. Machine is blazing sweet. Anything else I may need to know about employing an SSD as my main drive? I'm checking out MCE Tech for an OptiBay and I've also heard disabling 'safe sleep' has a benefit, unless my battery drains while I'm working on something. Still isn't quite as fast as the new Macbook Air with the SSD hardwired into the motherboard.

16. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I did the same upgrade with a different SSD. No issues. If you continue to have issues, consider just cloning your original HDD with Carbon Copy Cloner. Also works. All you have to do after that is remember to set your Startup Disk.

Curious as to why the OP got an X25-m as well. I highly recommend getting a SSD with a SandForce controller.