Trouble with Re-install

Discussion in 'macOS' started by upuck, Oct 31, 2011.

1. upuck macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new here. I'm going to recycle my old iMac, so I erased the hard drive by installing one of my installation CDs/DVDs. I did the erasing perfectly fine. When I went to re-install the OS, the machine told me that this system couldn't be installed on this machine. Of course, I'm not sure what version it is because I just grabbed an installation disc to erase, forgetting about the re-install.

My question for you all is how can I retrieve my disc? I honestly don't care if I re-install or not, since I'm shipping it to Apple to get recycled. I would like my disc, though, if possible. I know, I should have been more careful, but I didn't realize it would eat my disc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

2. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

I guess the question is why you want the disk?

I get that you may want it for historical reasons or for "maybe some time down the road" but chances are you only have a grey [re]install disc for the old system (running 10.3? 10.4? 10.5?)... and those discs are meaningless for any other computer than the one you are retiring.

The re-install discs are paired with a very small hardware set (so I couldn't take the discs from an iMac and install it on my mini).

And you won't be able to install that old OS (even if it was an OEM disc) on a new Mac as the hardware won't be supported.

So if you are retiring the hardware, retire the software with it.

If you aren't retiring the hardware, then we need to think of another way to get you back up and running.

3. upuck thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I may have the disc for my new iMac in my old iMac...that's why I think I should try to retrieve the disc if I can...