Trouble with Safari and YouTube

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darth2499, Jun 11, 2013.

1. darth2499, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

darth2499 macrumors newbie

I always liked Safari for the past 4 years but about a year ago I discovered a weird thing on Safari on YouTube that makes me go insane since it makes it so much harder to use.

When I click upload video it shows this huge white screen and when I open new links in the video's description it will do the same or sometimes (when the app is resized or in full screen view) it would just bring me to the redirect notice.

Any way to fix this so I can start using safari instead of Google Chrome (Has no problems with this)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Odd...have you tried clearing Safari's cache to see if it fixes it (or even resetting it entirely if you can)? Also do you have any extensions installed on Safari? I tried loading YouTube, login in and clicking upload on Safari and it works fine.

3. darth2499 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have restored Mac OS X 10.8 and disabled iCloud when I finished the restore and yes I have done clearing and resetting Safari multiple times.

4. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Did you opt for the HTML5 trial on YouTube? If so, can you try disabling it?

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Go there and choose leave HTML5 trial to see if it helps.

5. darth2499 thread starter macrumors newbie

That does not seem to help, the redirect notice still seem to be there. I dont't see the blank white page though

6. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Well, it looks like we made some progress by turning off the HTML5 trial :p

Did you confirm that it works fine in Chrome (with you logged in to YouTube and all)? Also see if your YouTube Account is in good standing under Channel settings (just in case).

With regards to Safari make sure you have the latest version (6.0.5) as well as the latest version of Flash. Also try with no extensions on Safari if you have any installed.

7. darth2499 thread starter macrumors newbie

Google chrome works with html5 on or off. It has 0 problems, I am running safari 6.0.5 and have the latest flash. I have disabled all plugins and still get that redirect notice. And on rare occasions the white blank thing comes back. If it helps I have a Logitech MX Performance mouse and the redirect seem to happen everytime I middle click the links with it.

8. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Ok, well if it gives you no issues with Chrome using the same mouse then I doubt it is related to it unless you have configured something special for the middle click that is only triggered with Safari?

One more thing that occurs to me is: quit Safari, go to the apps folder and do a Get Info on Safari. Check to see if Open in 32-bit mode is enabled or disabled and put it on or of depending on how it is and relaunch Safari to see if it does anything.

Lastly, repairing Disk perimission sometimes fixes odd errors.

Barring that not sure what else to suggest other than to use Chrome, kind of out of ideas :p

9. darth2499 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help. I got most of them fixed but I will email Google support about that redirect notice in YouTube.

Thanks again for all your help!

10. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

11. skitch3000 macrumors newbie

i do not have flash installed on my system. I use Chrome (w/ flash built in) for youtube and things like that..

does anyone know if it's necessary to join the youtube html5 trial within Safari if i don't have flash installed at all? does it make a difference either way?

thanks