Trouble with Secure Empty Trash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DVDSP, Nov 1, 2007.

1. DVDSP macrumors regular

I have been running Leopard since Saturday. Now, every time I try to Secure Empty Trash the progress bar shows more files than are showing in the trash. Then, the progress bar hangs (for literally hours if I don't stop it) showing 9 or 10 items left to delete. If I Force Quit the Finder the trash will reset and look empty. If I create a new folder and immediately move it to the trash and try to Secure Empty I get the same thing; it will start showing 11 items move to 10 and hang.

However, if I just do a normal empty everything works as it is supposed to, no hanging.

I don't get it. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

2. surfsnow macrumors newbie

I have 100% SAME, EXACT problem you're experiencing now, especially when the Time Machine drive is connected.
    Even if I have 1 item to be deleted, when I use Secure Empty Trash, on the status bar ALWAYS shows 5 items. Then the status bar will never goes away (I performed a test before I go to bed to delete ONE file, after 7 hrs, "5" items is still there).
    WTH is going on! I better call Apple to start asking for help. :mad:

3. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Same here too. Hopefully this is something that Apple will fix in 10.5.1. It wouldn't hurt to leave feedback on their website letting them know about the problem either.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

4. surfsnow macrumors newbie

Left feedback to Apple. I wonder if they will really fix it ASAP. Anyway, lets cross our fingers.:confused:

5. DVDSP thread starter macrumors regular

Good to see I'm not the only one

I left feedback also. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

6. surfsnow macrumors newbie

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

One more chiming in with this problem. I guess I won't be getting an answer today. :)

8. surfsnow macrumors newbie

Well... I will be very upset if they didn't get this fixed on 10.5.1:mad:

9. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

10. surfsnow macrumors newbie

Just update and tested... the Secure Empty Trash problem is NOT being solved yet! :mad:
    Same problem, I put ONE file into the trash can, and when I click on "Secure Empty Trash", 5 items shows up needs to be deleted.... OMG, that was ONLY ONE file in there!!!!!! (It is NOT a folder, just a PDF file)
    AND, it hangs, I have to Force quit to get rid of the status bar.

This is NOT acceptable! I am calling Apple right now.

Maybe I should not be expecting this is getting fixed in 10.5.1 since it is not one of the item got listed on the release notes.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

This is odd. I tested this out on my MBP from work (it's my iMac at home having this problem). When I try on the MBP with one item in the trash, it says there are 3 items to empty. But it doesn't hang. The secure empty worked.

I can't imagine it's hardware related, but I do wonder if it's just certain machines and configs that have this problem.

12. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Tested my iMac. One item in trash, secure empty shows 6. This time it progressed down to 4 items, then hung. After force quit, the trash was empty. So yeah, still not working properly.

13. surfsnow macrumors newbie

To Dimwhit: Even it seems to work on your MBP, but if only one item in the trash, why it says 3 items to empty... humm... it should say "1 item to empty"... humm.... :confused:

I called Apple, if the 10.5.2 still not getting this fixed, I will call again. (I know it doesn't matter how many times I called)...

Right now, I am just using the srm command under Terminal.:mad:

I will keep this thread updated with any new "findings" or solution.

14. ghettochild macrumors regular

I have the same issues with my PB G4 under 10.5.1. If I drag one item in the trash and then go on secure empty... the finder pop-up shows 5 items to delete (although only 1 is there) and hangs at 4. Only remedy is relaunch the finder.

I'm disappointed that this wasn't fixed in 10.5.1. Always leave feedback about these issues at Apple's feedback form.

Until this is fixed I use Permanent Eraser.

UPDATE: I just unmounted and ejected my external FW hard drive (I don't use time machine) and secure empty trash worked fine. As soon as I mount the external the above mentioned problems occur.

15. surfsnow macrumors newbie

FYI:
    Tried to secure empty trash without my external HD connected. (Time Machine off all the time)
    One item dropped into the trash can
    Run Secure Empty Trash--> 3 items shows up!

Same things happens as I tested some (I say "some" because I just cannot go thru ALL the floor models they have, too many people) MB, MBP, or iMac in the Mac Store next to my work place. (I tested 3 MBP, 2 iMacs, and 3 MB, all have the SAME problem!)

I was going to try to grab someone IN Mac Store to explain to me what is causing that, but since it is "shopping season", store was packed with people... so I didn't ask. I will show this "magic" to those so called "Mac Genius" @ the store, and ask why 1 item in the trash can will become 3 when trying to do SMT. :rolleyes:

16. zombitronic macrumors 65816

zombitronic

It sounds like there are invisible files in the trash. These are likely the files that Secure Empty Trash is hanging on.

You could try using an application like TinkerTool to show invisible items, drag the files from the trash to a folder on your desktop and delete and secure empty them one by one. This may help you identify the problem files.

If you identify the problem files and still cannot securely empty the trash, you could try moving the files back to the trash and erase free space on the disk using Disk Utility.

17. emt1 macrumors 65816

Um... this thread is from 2007...

18. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There aren't any invisible files, I've looked.

19. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Not sure about anyone else, but I know I'm having the same issue. Maybe someone else has a thought.

20. Minsk macrumors newbie

Secure Empty Trash 'issues'

Hi fellow Trashers!

Had exactly the same problem... 3 files hanging on in there... laughing at me... mocking my lack of know-how... s******ing and dancing a merry little jig in the vast open planes of my otherwise empty Trash!

So I ran Applejack in 'auto' mode, restarted and had another go at Secure Empty Trash-ing...

Who's laughing NOW big boys? All three of them are DEAD!!!... Outa my life!!!... Finito!!!...

And should they try returning, well they'll feel the full force of Applejack once again... We're waiting for them... Bring it on!

Good luck

21. ilivethebrand macrumors newbie

Trash Issue Solved

I had to go to finder - preferences - advanced tab....uncheck the box that says empty trash securely. Close out finder and then empty trash. When Its done restart your computer and go to the finder preferences and re-do the original setting and then see if the secure setting works by placing something in the trash and emptying the trash again.

Hope this helps. If not let me know. :)