Trouble with Siri and WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by camner, Mar 22, 2015.

1. camner macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2009
    Ever since upgrading to iOS 8 I've had a lot of trouble with Siri in my home via WiFi (the issue started with iOS 7 but wasn't as frequent). If the iPhones are asleep, holding down the button to summon Siri results in an assistant with no pulse (flat line rather than the typical sine wave).

Since I've also noticed that other apps aren't connecting to the internet, I think what's happening is that the iPhone isn't reconnecting to WiFi when the phone wakes up. (Sometimes it reconnects by itself after a while, sometimes I have to turn WiFi off and on again in Settings)

Interestingly, turning off WiFi and going back to LTE solves the general internet connection, but it doesn't solve the Siri often takes a full iPhone reboot.

I've tried several troubleshooting steps, including restoring the iPhone as new (but restoring settings from a backup), but nothing has borne fruit.

Any suggestions about further troubleshooting with WiFi as well as Siri?
  2. Ash Pole macrumors member

Mar 2, 2015
    I had a similar problem with my home's WiFi.
    My iPhone 6 would not hold the wireless connection for more than a day or two....but my iPad Air iOS 8 was rock solid.
    I could turn off iPhones Wifi and re-enable it but that was only a temporary fix.
    I tried everything including reinstalling iOS 8 but the issue would reappear a day or so later.
    Would have taken the iPhone 6 back to Verizon but I was 1 day past the return period.
    As a last resort, I bought a $18 Rosewill wireless router from Newegg to replace my Linksys wrt45 and that solved the problem.