Trouble With Steam Games Continuously Crashing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsf8x, Jan 19, 2013.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Hi,

I'm having a lot of problem with games crashing on steam. Both Civ 5 and TF2 crash almost immediately. I'm not sure what the problem is since they have both worked fine for a the last 8 months (since I got my computer, speced out 13' mbp). All of a sudden they just started continuously crashing. Ideas?

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

Can you post a crash log?

3. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

If they're crashing immediately it sounds like something happened to the game files. If you go into your library and right-click on the title, there's an option to "verify local cache" (or something similarly worded). If you click it then it seems to verify all files and will re-download anything that doesn't match the server's version. It's worth a try.

It's probably unrelated to your issue, but I'll also mention that there's an issue with Steam on the Mac if it opens the main page. Supposedly the ads continue to cycle in the background, even if you're in your library screen or playing a game, and in doing so they begin to eat up memory. Eventually it results in a crash. It takes a while for this to occur, which is why I don't think it's your problem, but I'll mention it anyway for anyone else who is having crashing with Steam on the Mac. The supposed fix is to change the page that Steam opens with - I believe they call it the "favorite" page in the options. Make it anything but that main page. I don't use Steam very heavily so I can't say for certain whether it works or not, but I haven't experienced random crashes since doing that. Hopefully Valve will fix that one soon, but the advice I saw regarding the issue and its fix goes back a few months, at least.