Trouble with TC.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htownrockets, Jul 11, 2008.

1. htownrockets macrumors member

Okay, I bought the TC 2 weeks ago, leaving the Apple Store grinning widely. So I get home, unwrapped everything carefully and proceeded to hook it up. And that's where the trouble starts. I've spent hours just trying to make it connect. I've called Apple and the only thing they could say is that my TC is broken. Well I set up an appointment to the Genius Bar and took my TC there and the guy made it work perfectly. I mean it was just a matter of minutes.

So I went home and tried it again, but only to fail. Now I'm deciding whether to sell it or keep on messing with it..

But I want to give you a visual of what I'm doing and how everything is set up in my household.

Okay so my modem and my linksys router is in a room downstairs in a closet (in a built in wall box). And my other router, the one I've been connecting to is located in my brothers room upstairs. My modem only has one port so the linksys router connects to it, and everything else runs through the linksys through wall ethernet ports (like A1, A2, etc) The Belkin (the one is my brothers room) is used in port one of the linksys. So the technique that I've used for the Time Capsule is reset countless times, make the name blah blah, then choose "I don't have a something something and I want to create a new one", then I choose "Bridge Mode", and just click continue for the rest. Keep in mind that I'm using a wall port. Everything seems dandy as everything sets, the green light flashes, and it shows up as an option for a connection. But then it doesn't connect to the internet. Somehow though it connects for Time Machine and it reads everything..

So I'm just asking, what am I doing wrong? Is it me or my wireless set-up? Is the TC worth it?

2. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Ive got a 500gb TC(which has 4gbs left on it :( ) But anyway, I love it, it was very simple.

However, I dont have a complex network like you have. I simply have mine plugged up to my dsl modem, and is the only router.

From what I have read, you need to make the TC the main router, and then setup the other routers coming after the TC.

Sorry if this isnt technical enough, but thats what I remember from reading on the forums. Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge would come and help ya...Hang in there, its a great product once you get it going...

3. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm just hoping for a day where I have everything set up.

Any ideas on how to make the TC my main router?

4. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

Another question. With Time Machine and Time Capsule..can I somehow restore the files I've backed up? Seeing if I upgrade my hard drive, can I just back up everything, switch hard drives, and then restore everything?