Trouble with the function keys on bluetooth apple keyboard (aluminum)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ProstheticHead, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

So I recently received a bluetooth ultra-thin keyboard to use with my laptop while I have it hooked up to it's external monitor, the only trouble is that I can't seem to get the function keys to work properly. I've managed to go in and reset the dashboard control / brightness using the keyboard pane in the system settings, but I can't seem to set the volume / media control buttons. Any ideas how to get my keyboard working properly? If it matters at all, I'm running this on a 2.4 unibody MBP.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

 -> System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard -> Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys.

3. ProstheticHead thread starter macrumors 6502

No go. With that checked regardless whether I hold down the fn key or not the volume control is still non-responsive.

Frustrating that it'll recognize all of these commands on the built-in keyboard, but not on Apple's own wireless external.

4. funaki macrumors newbie

aha

same problem here... In other forums, others posted having the same problems...

I guess apple needs to come up with a patch/update on the driver software? :confused:

5. ProstheticHead thread starter macrumors 6502

FOUND A FIX.

Download and install the Magic Mouse Software Update from Apple. I think it's called the Wireless Mouse Software Update.

Fixes the entire issue. Somewhat ridiculous, but it works.

6. funaki macrumors newbie

Somewhat desperate here....

Doesn't work. Installed Magic Mouse drivers twice.

I have OS 10.5.8, Magi Mouse and the new apple keyboard... but the function keys don't work, no matter if I tag the checkbox or not. I can't alter volume, brightness etc.... :confused:

Grateful for any other advice...

7. funaki macrumors newbie

thx! it works perfectly now. :)

(what took them so long...) :(