Trouble with Upgrade to Leopard on iMac G5-need help bad

Discussion in 'macOS' started by otko, Dec 17, 2009.

1. otko macrumors newbie

I'll try and keep this brief.

Here goes-

I have a MacBook and an iMac G5. The iMac recently started to act up so I backed all of my files up and decided to do an upgrade (from Tiger to Leopard). Disk Utility would not verify permissions on the iMac, it would freeze up or return saying it couldn't verify. After a few days of trying to use Disk Warrior and Drive Genius to fix things, I got a message saying "Backup your files now, etc". I took that as a pretty serious warning and since it would only run for about 10 minutes before freezing I said screw it (Drive Genius returned no bad sectors and I'm 100% positive the hard drive is OK).
    I got all my files saved and popped in my Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD and started installing. For some reason the install failed and the disk (leopard) was somehow corrupted. Now when I start up the iMac I get a blinking folder/question mark. When I put the disk in and hold C, it gets stuck in a restart-just keeps rebooting and rebooting and rebooting. I went ahead and put the Leopard DVD in my MacBook and it recognizes it when the computer is on, but just for kicks I tried holding C while the disk was in and it does the same thing as the iMac, it gets stuck in a forever reboot. I'm guessing that my disk is screwed-it has no scratches on it and it's been sitting in its plastic sleeve since I bought it, but it won't work period. Now here's what I want to try- I was curious about using my MacBook machine specific Leopard disk to install Leopard to my iMac. I know that it won't work and that it's not the "100% proper" way of doing things, but I am out of ideas and want to attempt a work around.

So- my question is, can I take my iMac hard drive out, hook it up to my MacBook via a SATA to USB converter, pop in my machine specific Leopard DVD, install Leopard on my iMac hard drive, and then put my hard drive back into my iMac? Will that work? I'm out of ideas and out of options. I can't find a retail Leopard copy anywhere. It's discontinued or people want over $200.00 for it, and I'm not paying some ridiculous price just because my disk failed. I know this post is long and I appreciate any help that comes my way.

Thanks

2. stil29 macrumors newbie

Leopard Install won't finish, freezes

I have the same issue. You can buy a copy of leopard from Apple. I got mine for 32 dollars. Did you find any way to install the os yet. You may have a logic board issue as that is what apple says is wrong with my machine. Thinking of sending it off and repairing it. What do you think?

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Today, I tried to install Leopard on my neighbor's imac G5. He purchased the boxed set of disks (iWork, iLife and Leopard).

The Leopard install said it was successful, but it will not boot. I get the chime, the Apple screen comes up with a spinning gear, then nothing.

I checked the disk permissions - all ok. I backed up the computer before doing the upgrade, but I can't get it to boot.

Now what?

4. huperniketes macrumors regular

huperniketes

If Leopard won't completely start up, boot in Verbose Mode

Reboot again, holding the cmd-v keys to cause MOX to boot in verbose mode. As the process is underway, the screen will display a Terminal-like console to which the boot process reports its activities, and possibly the cause of the hang or delay.

Alfonso Guerra
    President
    Apokalypse Software Corp.