Trouble with Wake On Lan for Teamviewer and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kbutler84, Feb 19, 2014.

1. kbutler84 macrumors regular

I cannot get this working. Can someone please walk me through this step by step. I've referred to the Teamviewer Wake On Lan Instructions but still cannot get it to work properly. I'm running a 2013 iMac with Mavericks and a 2TB Time Capsule (802.11n version) with up to date firmware.

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I don't know anything about TeamViewer, but it might help narrow down the problem if you "took it out of the equation" and checked to see if Wake On Lan works for the built-in OS X sharing services.

You can test this by going to System Preferences-->Sharing and choosing one of the services, like Screen Sharing and/or File Sharing.

Also in System Preferences-->Energy Saver, ensure you have "Wake for network Access" (or equivalent--wording is slightly different on different machines) checked.

Put that machine (the one sharing the service) to sleep. Go to another Mac and open Finder. The sharing Mac should be listed under "Shared" if you have checked the items under Shared in Finder-->Preferences-->Sidebar. Click on the sharing Mac's name. The sleeping Mac should wake up, and the window should show the Mac's shared folders and a Share Screen button. (I don't remember if you have to click on Connect As... the first time, or not...)

(At least, that's how it used to work for me. Wake on Lan/sharing used to work wonderfully for me, but lately it has stopped working. I think it might have stopped working when I upgraded to Mountain Lion.)

3. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip. I plan on trying this tonight.

4. kbutler84 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately no luck. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get this to work.