Troubles getting 2006 MacBook Pro to work with Intel SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bazookafx3, Dec 1, 2010.

1. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

Hello there everyone,
    It's been a while since I was last here but I've come to you guys requesting some help.

I have a 2006 MacBook pro that I've been trying to install a new Intel X18-M 80Gb SSD in, to no avail.

The main problem is that when I pop in the Leopard installer and boot up into it, the disk is not recognized by Disk Utility or even in System Profiler, same thing happens when I connect the SSD via USB while running OSX.

I know the drive is not dead as I can see it in Windows and use it perfectly. I've tried formatting it to NTFS, FAT32, and HFS+ then putting it in the MacBook but it still refuses to see it. I made sure to set it as a GUID partition and I still see nothing in the Installer or even OSX.

I know the drive is SATA II standard (3Gb/s) and my MacBook only has SATA I (1.5Gb/s) so I'm not sure if that means it's a lost cause or if I can do anything about it.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Saturdays macrumors member

Saturdays

Have you tried upgrading firmware?

Other than that, I see no reason why it won't work on yours, SATA 3.0gb/s should fall back on 1.5gb/s if 3.0 isn't available.

I would try formatting it with GParted, though it may not be the solution its a powerful tool to manage disk drives and it may clear some sort of inconsistency.

3. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have tried to upgrade the firmware but it tells me I have a "Pre-production firmware" and refused to let me upgrade.

4. bazookafx3 thread starter macrumors regular