Troubles waking up my new MBP from sleeping

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackaz127, Nov 1, 2008.

1. jackaz127 macrumors newbie

hi guys, i bought a few days ago a new MBP, it's the 2,53ghz with a 7200 rpm 320gb hard drive.

it is absolutely fantastic but i'm experiencing a little problem: sometimes when i flip up the screen for waking it up (it doesn't matter if it's been sleeping for 10 minutes or a whole night) instead of being quickly ready as usually macs do, the screen becomes black & white and it needs about 15 seconds to get ready.

i have absolutely no explications for this behavior and i hope someone will help me.

i'm also uploading a video on YouTube to show the problem.

EDIT: here it is: http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=MepirdiMajc

thank's a lot, bye. :)

2. joe2906 macrumors newbie

That video shows your MBP waking up from 'deep sleep'.

However, I'm having a problem in that my MBP is waking from deep sleep when I wouldn't expect it to be (and sometimes not waking at all). Possibly related?

See this post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=591479

3. theappledream macrumors newbie

Always happens to me!!!

It happens to my macbook pro to. Everybody I know that has a macbook pro, has the same problem. Waking up the macbook pro is like waking up someone with a hang over.

4. Chiloé macrumors newbie

It doesn't happen to me

I have the 2.4GHz model and I don't have this problem; it wakes up from sleep pretty much instantly (for what it's worth).

5. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank's for your answers guys, i know that's not a waking up from "normal sleep" but what i mean is that i put it sleeping in the "normal way": when there aren't strong processes i just close the lid; and when i wake it up it doesn't do a reboot or tell me to push the power button it simply does that fuc*in b/w process.:(

this morning (i'm in Italy) it's been the same. :(:(:(

will apple solve this with an update??? :(

6. cmatt macrumors member

play it some anaal nakrath... that wakes mrs cmatt up...

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

by any chance is there a grey bar down the bottom that turns white? like a loading bar??

that is deep sleep, if your computer completely runs out of battery it will save RAM onto the HD, so that it can completely shut everything down so that you lose nothing, its very handy.

8. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes that's it, but the fact is that everytime my mbp was on charge with 100% battery full, and there was no explanation for putting itself in safe sleep mode. :(

9. micol124 macrumors member

micol124

mine does that too... other that that all is good so far! (day 3 of full operation)

10. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

it has the SAME issue of mine? :)
    i'm asking cause you are the 1st person i know that MAY have exactely the same problem. :)

..the many we are the faster apple will solve it (hope so...:()

11. tom burns macrumors member

12. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank's a lot Tom, i checked and i have the 3rd, so it should be right, but it is not working properly!
    i mean, i don't pull the power cord out of the mac and take out the battery! so why almost every time i wake it up i have to wait for this safe sleep mode? it's not right!!!:mad::(

13. tom burns macrumors member

It doesn't have to do with the power chord. It is just like this by default...

14. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

you mean that it is normal that almost everytime i wake up my mbp from sleep i have to wait those 25 seconds before i can use it?
    i just can't believe it..:)

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nah its not normal, your machine is going into deep sleep everytime.

i recommend going to apples website, and downloading a program called "deep sleep" it is a widget. when you hit the "i" button (to get information on the app) it will let you choose the sleep mode for normal operations. hit "quick sleep" for this, your MBP will sleep and wake instantly.

16. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank's, thank's a lot, do you think this may be dangerous or have any contraindication? :)

(..sorry, i'm italian, is my english that bad?:confused::()

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha no, there are no problems whatso ever, its perfectly fine to use.

p.s. your english is perfect! probably better than mine!

18. jackaz127 thread starter macrumors newbie

allright! i'll try than.. thank's. :)

19. joe2906 macrumors newbie

Had you read the post that I linked to (above), you'll see that there are lots of people who are suffering from this issue.

Also see here for more assurance: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1760972&tstart=0

Regarding the Macworld article: I'd tried setting the hibernatemode to 0 (no safe sleep), but this resulted in me opening the MacBook to find it turned off completely.

It's almost as if there's an interruption to the power supply, such that if the machine is in safe sleep, it goes into deep sleep, and if the machine is in the old style sleep mode, it will turn off completely.

20. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you sure youve used the right commands??

Code:
    $ pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
    hibernatemode 0
    where...

0-ram powered, not saved to HHD
    1-hibernation mode, RAM saved to HHD
    3-DEFAULT.RAM written to HHD AND kept powered
    5,7,secure virtual memory (ignore these!)

21. joe2906 macrumors newbie

Yeah. I'm not having issues with that command - it works as I'd expect it to.