Troubleshooting 2011 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KPOM, Feb 2, 2012.

1. KPOM macrumors G5

I'm trying to troubleshoot my sister's 2011 i5 11" MacBook Air and am looking for some advice.

She reported that since Sunday, it has run very slowly, particularly while running Safari. It isn't her connection, since a Windows PC still runs fine. I have suggested resetting the PRAM and SMC, and running Disk Utility to repair Disk Permissions, all to no avail.

The issue started under 10.7.2 but is still there under 10.7.3.

The next step I can think of is to run the Apple Hardware Tests using Internet Recovery.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is there any known malware that might cause this? MacKeeper comes to mind. Is there anything else?

She has small children at home, so taking the Mac to the Genius Bar isn't particularly convenient, but that may be the next step. Are there any decent free diagnostics (besides AHT) that may be of help in isolating the issue?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Uninstall MacKeeper. You don't need it. To completely remove MacKeeper, follow the instructions in the following link, using "MacKeeper", "zeobit" and "antivirus" as your search terms.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    After you've removed MacKeeper and restarted your computer, if you still have performance issues, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Some of these may help: Performance Tips For Mac OS X

3. KPOM thread starter macrumors G5

Thanks. I don't think she has MacKeeper installed (at least I hope not). It just came to my mind as an idea because of their incessant banner ads (including at the top of my screen as I type).

If it isn't MacKeeper, are there any other ideas?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'd still follow those instructions, to make sure there aren't remnants of it still on her system. Read the other recommendations I posted after that link on deletion.