Resolved Troubleshooting 400Mhz TiBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bunnspecial, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bunnspecial, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I picked up a 400mhz TiBook "for parts" recently off the LEM Swap site...I couldn't pass it up for the price, especially since it included the original "yo-yo" charger.

In any case, the seller said that it would do nothing when attempting to power it up, something which I can confirm. It's too nice to part out, though(the top lid is nearly perfect), so I'd really like to get it working.

First of all, I disconnected the PMU battery, as I know that having a dead battery connected can keep some Apple laptops from booting.

Some further diagnostics have lead me to think that the DC in-board is likely bad. The seller told me that the battery was bad, but it's charging fine in another TiBook. I've tried installing a charged battery from another computer in this one, but it won't boot off that either.

Does anyone have any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

With it plugged in does the NUM lock light and the CAPS lock light come on?

I suppose it could be the DC-In board, but usually when those fail it just means no battery charging. Is the connection loose at all (meaning can you wiggle the barrell charger around easily)?

The first time the logicboard died on my TiBook/400 the screen froze. It rebooted but every reboot saw a freeze and progressively the boot would get less and less farther each time until I just had nothing but the drives and fans coming on.

I've got a good DC Inverter in the garage for a TiBook 400 if you want it though. Let me know.

3. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Thanks-I'll report back after the UK game a little later this afternoon(basketball comes first in Kentucky this time of year :) ).

In any case, as I said I'm pretty sure at a minimum the in-board is shot. The charger is tight in the socket, but the computer won't charge batteries that charge fine in other computers.

As of now-even with a charged battery installed, it does nothing when the power button is pressed. There are no light, no fans, nothing-it's just dead.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK. Well, the part is yours if you want it. In the garage somewhere. I'm in the process of cleaning up that monster (after so many months of letting it all go). I have a fair idea of where it is though. It was working when I broke the Mac down to get the display out for my son's DVI.

5. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Does the ring on the charger light up when plugged in?

6. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Yes, it is amber(or at least newer chargers do-I don't think the Yo-Yo has a light).

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

So do you work at Kentucky? If so, I'm sure you know Karl Townes, who graduated from my school last year, before I came...

8. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Actually, I work at the arch rival school. Being from central KY though, I've lived and breathed Kentucky basketball practically since I was born.

I was just watching the post-game interview a few minutes with Karl Anthony-Towns-he's a beast of a player and has done a lot of good for the team this year. I guess it's a small world!

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ah so you were the one who bought the TiBook I was eying.

10. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Sorry-I saw it and jumped on it

11. Orizence macrumors 6502

If memory serves me correct, the battery connecter is actually connected directly to the logic-board, so there is a chance that the logic-board is done. but then again there is a chance that there is a cable loose (you never know)

12. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

That doesn't sound so good. I'll pull the bottom off it again, and trace the circuits...

Supposedly the past owner last booted it in 2010 and it worked then, but wouldn't work when he pulled it out of storage the other day. Maybe I'll get lucky and can track down a bad solder joint or something along those lines...

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Wouldn't be something as simple as resetting PMU?

[​IMG]

14. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

15. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

No luck with a PMU reset...btw on this model it's located on the back panel next to the USB ports.

16. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I also don't think that the charger would illuminate if the DC in board was bad.

17. redheeler, Mar 13, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

He also mentioned it not powering up with a changed battery installed, that would definitely indicate another issue.

Edit: My poor iBook Clamshell has suffered from a failed DC-in board, the charging LED (in this case on the machine itself) does not light. Unfortunately I don't have a working battery to test it.

18. bunnspecial thread starter macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Okay, I think that now all is right in the world. It seems as though there is an old quote to not attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity, and I think that quote is very apt here.

The computer was completely DOA, but as I mentioned I ventured into it this morning to disconnect the PRAM battery. The seller actually suggested that I try this, and it made sense to me as I know a dead PRAM battery will prevent Pismos(which are not that far removed-age wise-from these early TiBooks) from booting, so thought it was a worth a try at least. The PMU-into which the battery plugs-is located between the top cover and the DVD drive. I followed the iFixit guide for removing the DVD drive, which had me do a couple of steps that I don't think were actually necessary. One of these was disconnecting the PMU cable from the logic board.

When I pulled the bottom(again) a few minutes ago, I checked these connections and found that I had not actually correctly reconnected the PMU :rolleyes:

With this connector properly reseated, the computer powered right up and booted to 10.3.9. I plugged it in, dropped the battery out, and it kept right on ticking.

The computer is now reassembled and working perfectly!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

One last thing-as anyone who has ever opened a TiBook knows, there's an inner plastic "skeleton" on the bottom cover which actually engages with the tabs on the case body that hold the bottom metal cover in place. I've had two TiBooks where this "skeleton" was detached from the metal. As the screws only hold the back part of the case bottom, this will leave the front part of the case bottom loose. I repaired both of mine by careful application of epoxy. I know how to correctly remove a TiBook case bottom(up at the back, then pull forward). With that said, I really don't think that this particular one had ever been opened before yesterday(or if so it had been a long time). It was TIGHT on the bottom, and I can understand how someone unfamiliar with the construction of these might inadvertently rip the bottom cover into two pieces.