Troubleshooting iMac (17")

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by i.shaun, May 8, 2009.

1. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

17" iMac, late 2006 - OS X 10.4.11

It all started when transmission.app would constantly freeze the iMac like it did once before when it had a bug. I assumed the bug has returned because I had the most recent version available for OS X 10.4, and so I removed it and even started an updated thread on here about torrent apps, to see what's available currently.

Anyway, I did not feel like paying for Xtorrent, and uTorrent beta would not run, so I stuck with Azureus. It ran well, however upon attempting to pause a download, the entire system froze much like it did with Transmission.

I realized it was not Transmission itself, it was a bigger problem, because now two similar applications are behaving the same. No other application causes the system to freeze like this, only torrents.

I repaired Disk Permissions -- OK
    I verified Internal HDD -- OK
    I unplugged the iMac for a while to clear the PRam much like I did to fix unresponsive firewire ports in the past -- OK

After those steps the problem still remains when attempting to run a torrent app. I popped in OS X Install Disk 1, and ran the Apple Hardware Test (AHT) and was given a single hardware error: 4MOT/1/40000003: HDD

I am unsure as to where to proceed from here. From what info I can find, "4MOT" refers to a fan, and "HDD" would suggest the fan near the HDD is faulty.

I do not have a warranty at the moment, as this was purchased late 2006, and there are no apple stores in my area. I do not know how to open the iMac to check myself, but I did attempt it.

To do so:
    -I unscrewed the 2 screws for the RAM cover.
    -I unscrewed the 4 screws over the built in speakers (all on the bottom of the iMac where the RAM is)
    -I lifted the plastic cover up from the bottom, and could see a black protective cover extending around everything around the LCD Screen.
    -I could not remove the plastic cover. It made some creaking noise when attempting to get the end off the top of the LCD screen, it seems to be held in place by something. I also notice the iSight up there and what looks like a small circuit board which I did not wish to snap off.
    -I closed the iMac back up again to avoid breaking it, and thought I'd ask you fellow macrumor members for assistance.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

@ OP: Sorry for the troubles you're having with your computer. If you aren't sure how to take apart the system, plug your zip/area code into here. You can also try taking a look at www.ifixit.com where they have some take-apart guides.