Troubleshooting iPad mini cellular

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wreckie, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Wreckie macrumors regular

Hi.
    I am having issues with connecting iPad mini retina Wi-Fi+Cellular to 3G and 2G networks. I am able to connect it to LTE, has 3-4 bars of signal. Disabling LTE in settings it gives "No Service". I am not sure if that happened with digitizer replacement because I did not test it before repair. May it be cellular antennas issue? I have tried everything software related: resetting network settings, rebooting, taking sim out. Also, currently it is running iOS 9.2 beta, but that existed in public 9.1 as well. Any ideas?

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

yeah i'd talk to the guy who did the repair .. ???

in this situation the only thing you can really do to trouble shoot your situation is to try a different carriers sim or reseed the sim card. this will force the sim card to update its tower list, its what verizon tells people to do now that you can't dial
    *228 anymore on Gsm/lte phones. in my messing around with iPhones and switching sims, it made stuff like VoLTE and Voice mail show up

turn off the ipad
    remove sim card
    turn on the ipad
    wait for the ipad to boot up
    unlock the ipad
    wait for the ipad to say sim card not installed

insert the sim card at this point, it will do its searching

that should fix any problems you have.

its been my experience with messing around with iPhones that simply inserting the sim card while its turned on
    isn't as good as inserting the sim card when you power it on with no sim card

an argument could be made that some of these newer iPads and iPhones don't give you any more battery life if you turn off LTE because of the newer chipsets.

3. Wreckie thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried this method, problem persists. I don't worry about battery life but signal strength outside cities. In the countrysides there often is no good 4G reception.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i think the only way your going to verify that the ipad is good is try a different sim card from another carrier.

nothing stopping you from getting another carriers sim card for a month with a small amount of data, its not like you have to switch the device or cancel your service. just stick the sim card in a safe pace
    like for example
    t-mobile 200 megabytes for FREE or ATT's offer of 250 megabytes for $15, you can even get 1 gig on verizon for $20

i don't know of any other way to verify the cellular function

apple would just tell you to DFU the device and restore

the other thing i can think of is to get the latest ipad mini retina, because it might have more lte channels then the one you got, but i think that wouldnt help