Resolved Troubleshooting LSI Fibre Cards

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by NOTNlCE, Feb 19, 2015.

1. NOTNlCE, Feb 19, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

I'm having Xserve issues again.

I have an Xserve 1,1 running Lion and Yosemite and a later revision XRAID (larger cache) with two PC (Non-Apple) LSI 7204EP Fibre Cards as recommended by the Hardware Compatibility guide HERE. The weird issue I am running into is that only one of the four Fibre card ports "works." In the "Fibre" section of System Preferences, it shows the link as connected whenever I plug the XRAID into ANY of the ports, but only on the first port of the left card do I get a disk connection. I can plug either of the Fibre cables from the XRAID into this port and get the disk to mount no problem, but not in any of the other ports, even the second port on the same card doesn't work.

Is there anything that can be done? Right now, I have to manually change cables to access the other half of my XRAID array if I want that disk mounted, and unmount the existing array. Should I bite the bullet and get an "Official" Apple card? Do you think this will solve my issue? I thought buying a second card would help, but that didn't seem to do anything.

I've also determined that it's not an OS issue. Same issues in Yosemite. Any advice?

Thanks for all your continued support as I straighten out my Xserve issues.
    -N

2. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Development: I brought home my Mac Pro 1,1 from work. Same exact thing with that tower. Just one of the four ports works. Both cards recognized, Fibre links established fine, but only one port allows mounting of the disk. I'm going to try in a Windows tower.

3. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

4. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Both cards are actually a HIGHER firmware revision. Apple states that the highest firmware revision is 1.03.23, but both my cards run 1.03.25, according to system profiler. I don't suppose there's a way to DOWNGRADE the firmware, just to test? At this point, at least one card isn't even doing anything for me, so if I brick it, whatever.

5. dyt1983, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

6. NOTNlCE thread starter macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Yeah, I've tried all the card configurations. I just purchased a new card. Gonna try to recoup losses on the bay. Thanks for the help.

7. pablos macrumors newbie

pablos

Hi, can anyone help me with apple firmware file (1.03.23) dump from LSI7404?
    And eventually install files of LSI's software for osx?