Troubleshooting PC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Aug 3, 2012.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Wasn't sure what forum this best fit so bear with me.

I built a PC 4 years ago and had recently given it to my younger brother. Anyways, last night, he was browing youtube and whatnot and then told me that the monitor went into power saving mode

I thought, simple, just the vga cable got loose and sure enough, it was. But that did not fix the problem. In fact, I can not even get the pc to post

All components seem to get power and what not. I reset the CMOS, as well as reseated the ram.

Also tried booting with f8 for safe mode but didn't seem to do anything.

Anything I should check?

Thanks

2. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Try a different power supply, it seems that the components might be getting power, but not enough of it. And if the PSU is 4 years old, it might be dying.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Could be the video card, do you have a spare one you can throw in there to test?

4. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Are there any diagnostic lights on the motherboard that might indicate what the issue is? Any beep patterns when the machine tries to post?

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

True, could be that

Yea, the monitor works

Could be that too but don't have a spare one to throw in

Not that I can see. I can't hear any beeps as well. Usually I hear some as it boots up

6. cuestakid macrumors 68000

couple thoughts-

1. If you open the case, do you see any lights on the board itself?

2. If you try to boot, do the fans move? It may be being posting because the fans can't spin

3. Is the video on-board or separate card? You could try switching to the other one.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Hmmm, if it won't POST, I'd look into swapping out the PSU as mentioned above.

8. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

1) Haven'y noticed any ever?

2) All of the fans activate (gpu, cpu, psu, case fans)

3) VC is an 8800gt 512. Sadly don't have a spare but the fans turn on for it
    If only I had a spare PSU lol

such a pain!

9. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

Just for the heck of it, what happens if you try removing the RAM and then turning on the computer? If you don't hear any beeps or anything then, I'd start to suspect the motherboard. Definitely not the easiest problem to troubleshoot as it could be several different things.

Nobody I know that builds their own PC likes to take it in anywhere, but is there anywhere around you can take it in to? Ideally, the place you take it to would have plenty of spare parts around to test things out.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I'd start by trying to POST with just motherboard, CPU, one RAM chip and the PSU connected. Every other card (including GPU) and cable disconnected. If it does a POST beep add each part one at a time and try booting to isolate the problem. If not remove the RAM chip and try another one in another slot.

If there is still no reaction beyond the spinning fans you at least isolated the problem to the Motherboard, PSU or CPU. If it isn't the PSU and you have no spare motherboards compatible with the CPU to test with I would just replace the Motherboard, CPU and RAM. Since new replacements of old generation parts are usually a huge ripoff and have compatibility problems. Compared to new current generation components.

This all depends on the manufacturer. When the RAM is removed, not seated properly or faulty some will beep, others fans spin like crazy and some just do nothing.

11. cuestakid macrumors 68000

well said-
    @ dukebound85

there should be some kind of indicator on the board that it is getting power. If you really never ever saw any I would check the manuals for your board and see where they indicate lights should be-there must be a way to know if the board has power or not