Troubleshooting sharing a drive.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PhantomPumpkin, Dec 27, 2011.

1. PhantomPumpkin macrumors member

Running on a current gen iMac(latest release).

Trying to set up a shared drive over my network(external USB drive).

When I try adding the whole drive, it gives Everyone Read access. The only change I can make is read/write. The write only and none are grayed out.

My account can have any of the 4. That part works fine. It's the Everyone access that I can't adjust(nor delete).

When I try just adding a specific folder, I set Everyone to None, and my login to read/write.

I go to my other machine to test it, and I can log in and read/write under Guest.

Any thoughts on how to make this actually restrict to what I set it to?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is probably something you already did, but since you didn't mention it: You don't by chance have "Ignore ownership on this volume" checked, do you? It would produce behavior exactly like what you're describing.

Other than that, I don't have any good suggestions; I've gotten a similar setup to work just fine, but have never enabled Guest access before. You might try just using a sub-folder for the share point, unless there's something that makes sharing the whole volume necessary.

Alternately, since you're probably running Lion, you should be able to upgrade to Lion Server for pretty cheap, which should give you a lot more user access control.