Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
My wife dropped her iPhone into water today. She got it out instantly. We could tell it had some issues, as music coming out of speaker sounded bad. We were on our way out of town, so we grabbed a bowl and rice and brought it with us. She wrapped it in the paper towels and put in the rice. 45 minutes later the noise issue was gone, but it kept registering screen presses. So, we put it back in the rice, and left it in there for a few hours. After watching a movie, we checked it again, and the phone would not turn back on. We got home and plugged it into a wall charger. About 20 minutes has passed, and still nothing. I thought maybe it somehow got set to DFU mode as the screen would stay blank, so I plugged it into our MacBook. Still nothing, no error in iTunes, no power at all. I thought it was odd that 2 hours after being dropped, some problems would clear up like the garbled speakers, and some would first start, like not powering on. Any thoughts?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You are supposed to power it off and leave it in rice for a day or 2.
Not power it on and check it every 20 minutes. 20 minutes or 45 will do nothing in absorbing moisture. Powering it on while still wet can cause a short or multiple shorts and when that happens its done.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I've dealt with water damaged iPhones before, and about an hour or two was all it needed in rice. As I said, we checked it after about 45 minutes and then it was hours before we checked again.

Thankfully the water sensor paper did not turn red, so I'll have to just take it in tomorrow.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I don't know, I really doubt an hour or 2 in rice would do anything. That's way too fast to dry completely and for the rice to take out all the moisture.
Maybe a day or 2 yes.
There's multiple moist sensors inside and on the bottom of the phone.
I'd bring it in, be honest and hope for the best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.