True 1920x1080?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Peel, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

There are an increasing number of consumer/prosumer cameras on the market that boast True 1920x1080 resolution. But what does this actually accomplish? These cameras all use the HDV codec which limits the image to 1440x1080 due to mini-DV's 25Mb/s bandwidth. Are there any real gains to be had with a 1920x1080 sensor over a 1440x1080 one since the better sensor is being downsampled anyway?

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I believe it's mostly a marketing thing. I've seen video from both kinds, and there is really no noticeable difference.

3. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Well, 1920x1080 sensors would be great if you went straight out of the (Sony) HDMI output into a Blackmagic Intensity video card, or out of the (Canon) HD-SDI output into a Wafian recorder, completely bypassing the HDV compression.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be a portable solution like these (yet).

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd have to go w/more marketing than reality as well. The sensor is just part of the equation. Go into the digital photography and ask, "What's more important, the lens or the camera body/sensor" and you'll get a unanimous answer, "It's the glass, dummy." (well, they'll probably not use the word dummy though).

Lethal

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well I guess you could put it this way:

What looks better?

3mp picture shrank into a 2mp picture

or

2mp picture

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

And if the lens of the camera is only good enough to resolve a 1mp image... ;)

Lethal

7. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Then all we can do is pray....

Haha but really, feeding a 1080p feed into a 720p TV will always look better then sending a 720p feed into a 720p(well there are some exceptions):cool:

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes.*

(*assuming the signals are of equal quality relatively speaking (i.e. a great 720p signal and a great 1080p signal), the TV has a good enough scaler, the TV is large enough for there to be a perceivable difference between the resolutions, and the viewer is sitting at a the proper viewing distance for their to be a perceivable difference.):p

Lethal

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Do 720p consumer TV sets really have better downscaling algorithms than pro software/hardware that's converting 1080p into 720p?

(I honestly don't know; I use an iMac 20" to watch SD TV in the UK where there's no HD unless you pay+++ for it via satellite/cable).