True cost of having Apple install wireless on MP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Jan 18, 2009.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Basically I came home today and I think the electrician may have cut my internet cable from under the house. Being this is the case I feel getting another long wire and going under the house (the network is one extreme end of the house and MP is on the other side) its a big hassle I don't want to deal. I think since my MacBook gets good reception I might as well get the Airport in my Mac Pro. I just want to know will Apple charge me for installation fee or just the cost of the item?

thank you

2. MAYBL8R macrumors member

If you have a local Apple store near you, have them order the card and when it arrives, bring it in and they will install at no extra cost. Thats how I did mine.

3. rylin macrumors 6502

Wireless is a bag of hurt.
    If you don't want to pull ethernet, get HomePlug.
    I'm using HomePlug stuff because wireless was too shaky to stream HD video, and I didn't want to pull cat-5 unless I had to.
    HomePlug is "good enough" for me, though in the end I'll probably end up getting the apartment wired.

As for re-pulling ethernet; you should consider using extenders -- that way, you can replace segments.

4. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Simple fix.

Tell the electrician to get his butt back and fix what he screwed up , why spend more money if you dont have too. But if your going to let him get away with it than goto Home Depot or where ever and buy the cable with the ends on it by Leviton which I think has a lifetime warranty and crawl under and run it yourself.

I posted a similiar question about Apple installing the wifi card myself the other day. I talked to apple last evening and the guy said it does NOT void the warranty if I install it. And through Apple Chat I got the same thing, that it does NOT void the warranty.

You could do a USB wireless connection to your Mac Pro also

5. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Most reports say wifi in the pro is poor (compared to apples laptops). I'd not want to have to rely on it. +1 to calling the electrician and ask nicely to fix their mess.

6. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

Install it yourself. Not that hard. Just have patients. Did mine last year. Took less than an hour.

7. rhyx macrumors 6502

If you can install a PCI card or a video card you can install wireless on your Mac Pro.

8. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

that's true.
    whenever i'm transferring something over the network from my mac pro my bluetooth starts going crazy: the mouse gets laggy and my bluetooth keyboard loses connection and occasionally the airport will lose connection and i would have to reset it.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

do you have the current iteration of the mac pro? This summer i had the need for wireless with my mac pro, the original 2.66ghz version. it takes a different wireless card than the current mac pro. most apple stores can get ahold of the card for the current version, and they install it free if you buy it from them. BUT, no stores in the entire Minneapolis area had the card for my older mac pro. had to go to an apple authorized reseller. it was a NIGHTMARE tracking that card down. hope you have the newer mac pro, so you don't have the same hassle as i did.

EDIT: the bluetooth on my mac pro was horrendous. i did some troubleshooting and figured out that apple wired the airport and bluetooth all wrong. be on the lookout for that, too.

10. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you all for responding. Basically this is a problem I knew was gonna happen (I just thought the stray cats under my house would have chewed it). The electricians are coming tomorrow to fix anything that went wrong or they broke. I just thought the price of 50ft network cable at Frys is basically what I would pay for wireless card. Seeing that MP wireless feature is not that great especially for HD. See what they do tomorrow, I hope they don't $$$$ for this.

To bozz2006:

My MP is the first generation model, like one month after they came out so I think they have the label error on it, which I am fully aware but knowing Apple can install it for free I might as well use my gift card for this.

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

just remember that the correct wiring is

1 - on bluetooth card
    2 - on top connector of airport card
    3 - on lower connect of airport card
    BT - unused

And don't assume they'll do it correctly this time around either. I ordered mine from apple with bluetooth but no airport. the bluetooth came wired wrong. later i added the airport card, and they wired it wrong again.

12. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

the wireless in mine works fine, never had any problems. stream video all the time.

13. RobZ1 macrumors newbie

MP wireless

You should be able to use a airport express and wire that thru ethernet that way its wireless and no install needed

just my thought