True Cost of Upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by supervelous, Sep 24, 2015.

1. supervelous macrumors 6502

Was trying to explain to someone who thought I was crazy for getting the iPhone 6S Plus when I just got the iPhone 6 Plus last year and am not eligible for an upgrade. Got me thinking about my true cost of an upgrade.

I got my 6 Plus for $499 on a 2 year contract last year. This doesn't change whether I upgrade this year or next. I sold my 6 Plus 128GB for $620. I am buying the 128GB 6S Plus for $949, with a 10% discount from paying with Apple Pay. This comes to $908 purchase including tax minus the $620 so $288.

However, what also must be considered is opportunity cost. In a year, how much more can I sell the 6S Plus over the 6 Plus? I don't have a good feel for this but guesstimate it must be at least $150-$250. This makes the upgrade from $0 - $100 total cost. Been trying to explain this to my fiancee and a friend but they don't "get it".

Seems like if you privately sell your phone, a yearly upgrade is almost a no brainer. Any thoughts on this or similar experiences/viewpoints?

2. Cryates macrumors 6502a

So wait, you think the 6S Plus will get $150-$250 more than what your 6 Plus sold for? Is that's what you're saying, then you're wrong.

3. supervelous thread starter macrumors 6502

That was completely a guesstimate. Which is why I am posting it here. But I think at least $100 more. And the estimate is not more than what I sold the 6 Plus for this year. But how much value will my iPhone 6 Plus lose if I sold it in September 2016 than if I sold it in September 2015.

Assuming I can get $620 for my iPhone 6S Plus next year, my iPhone 6 Plus (now the 2 year old model) might only fetch me let's say $500 a year older and in potentially worse condition.

4. ceiph macrumors regular

Right now is spending $288 make sense for you and will the 2gb of ram and 3D Touch etc be worth 288 to you personally. That's literally the only point to make. If yes awesome. If you have kids and can't feed them or house them than the 288 shouldn't be wasted

5. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Think he was saying selling the 6 plus next year v. the 6s plus next year. If it only costs you $288/year, you are paying way less than most, so not a bad deal if its worth it to you. I do something similar.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I'll just say that if you're going to own your phone outright the faster you get out of contract pricing for service...the better.