'True Grit' Causing Handbrake to Die...

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by RedRallyeZ, Jul 8, 2011.

1. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

Im trying to Rip the new true grit DVD through handbrake, and as soon as i open it and select the source (in this case obviously the DVD) handbrake freezes and force quits. I can work with any other movie out there and already have my entire library ripped this way. What is causing it to do this and what are some possible steps to fix it?

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

What kind of output file are you looking for? If its MKV google Makemkv its a free program and very easy to use.

AM

3. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I ripped it with RipIt, but HB was not able to process the resulting file, so i ran it through DETOX (DVD2OneX) to strip out just the movie and the ran that through HB and it worked for me.

4. RedRallyeZ thread starter macrumors regular

alright guys, thanks.

Ill try a few of those programs. Great movie, I just want it on my Laptop.

5. Ronnoco, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

DVD2OneX2 Rocks! :D

6. csjo00 macrumors regular

It's a Disney encrypted dvd so Handbrake doesn't work very well. I think it was something like the 16th title for mine that worked, but I used a different program, MacX DVD Ripper Pro.

7. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Back in the day when I was ripping to actual DVD disc, I used DETOX to compress the movie only to a single layer DVD. Last October I abandoned physical media.

It work great then now I mostly use it to combine stuff. I used it to combine disc 1 & 2 of each of the extended versions on the LOTHR movies. I also use it to combine the few DVD special features I want on my ATV

8. posnera macrumors regular

Usually if you open the movie in DVD Player you can check to see which track contains the actual movie. Then choose "Open Source (Title Specific) from the File menu. Then select the correct title you identified from DVD Player.

9. Jacquesass macrumors regular

Wow. This is great advice for troublesome disks. I've ripped quite a few DVD's with HB - and I've never used that feature.

Thank you very much.

10. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I had to use RipIt, since MTR kept getting stuck at 55MB, but HB managed to read the resulting RipIt folder (unchecked the .dvdmedia format option).

11. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Yes, it works quite well for almost all discs like that.

Alternatively you can download a Handbrake nightly as it is fixed in https://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/4090

12. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Sorry I forgot about the .dvdmedia option

I have started using Ripit almost exclusively, I bought the program after the trial expired.

Used MTR for a long time but just became to much of a hassle to keep it updated.

13. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

That's the route I'm going. All I use MTR for is to get a rips on my computer so I can run a batch through handbrake. RipIt does the job nicely and I don't have to email 3 people to get it to launch or if I upgrade my computer.

I ended up buying a license for RipIt and will just hang on to MTR if RipIt fails me.

14. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

I use my windows desktop to copy the movies to the hard drive (BluRay and DVD, 12x BR and 16x DVD is much faster). BUT every once in a while I get a DVD that can't be handled. So far the ONLY application that has ALWAYS worked has been RipIt. Even when MTR failed, RipIt came through -- may take a long time, but it worked.

TruGrit is tough because there are a LOT of tracks on the disk, all with the same length, but most of them cut off early; only ONE is right. #26 for me I think, but others said #23. I used handbrake and just scrolled to the end before starting the rip. If I got the credits, I knew it was good, otherwise it was one of the false tracks.

15. nzlucas macrumors member

I have had trouble with anchor man and talledega nights, they have seemed to have added bad sectors purposely which screws up mac the ripper and fair mount.

16. lhford1 macrumors newbie

I used Ripit and then using Handbrake, click file choose "open source (title specific), the movie is in title 18, type 18 in pop up box, select format for handbrake to encode in and click start.