True MobileMe PUSH with 10.5.6!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ncsmith4, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

With everyone just talking about the fact that 10.5.6 is out, people seem to have overlooked the fact that MobileMe now has Push syncing from the computer, and not just via the web interface or iPhone. It pushes from the computer now too!

Love it, Apple. Love it.

2. corbywan macrumors regular

Technically it did push before (updating at regular time intervals), it's just that the timing of the push wasn't quite what everyone had in mind (near instant).

3. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Not really. Apple even admitted it and took that part out of their diagram on the site. It did a sync every 15 mins. This is actual push now...

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Nope. It's not push. If you read the release notes, it's just syncing every minute instead of every 15 minutes.

5. corbywan macrumors regular

It doesn't update every minute, it updates within a minute of a change instead of the every-15-minutes update.

"MobileMe

Contacts, calendars, and bookmarks on a Mac automatically sync within a minute of the change being made on the computer, another device, or the web at me.com."

And I suppose it's a matter of how one defines "push". Isn't any kind of update that is sent from one device to another automatically without a request from the receiving device a "push"?

Even if it's every 15 minutes, it's still a kind of push, though not the desired kind. Now it's more like they originally advertised. It updates/syncs/pushes after a change is made, not just on a schedule.

6. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It still takes aprox 3-4 min for my iMac to push to the MobleMe server

7. anthonyjr macrumors member

anthonyjr

That may be how the release notes seem to be worded, but this in fact true "push" functionality. Apple is just trying to get away from the "push" word to stop any complaining from any margin of error in regards to time.

Apple is just clearly stating that within a minute, under normal network circumstances, you should see the changes everywhere else within a minute. I see that sort of interval from my iPhone to my computer, and now I get to enjoy the same while working at my desktop.

8. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

How do you know? If the release notes seem to imply that it's not push, what information do you have that "this is in fact true "push" functionality"?

9. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

Because there is now a "sync" process that is running in the background. I've watched it...you make a change, and it "pushes" to me.com immediately. (You can watch the connection happen with Little Snitch.)

I agree that they use the wording they do just to set an expectation. If it works the way I've been watching it work, it pushes right away, which means that within a minute the changes are up on the server.

10. sUGArDawg macrumors regular

sUGArDawg

Man, who cares..

A minute? 15 minutes? Whatever. You guys aren't friggin' secret agents that have crucial emails to access. Calm down and enjoy it.

11. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What does that have to do with push technology? Isn't push generally considered the ability of a server (MobileMe) to push information to a client (your Mac) without the client requesting the information?

What you described is the exact opposite. Would you call submitting a post to this forum "push technology"?

12. BroadcastDoc macrumors 6502

BroadcastDoc

How is that the exact opposite?

A change made on the computer gets pushed immediately to the server. The server then immediately pushes that change to the other clients.

What else would you call that?

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

This thread deals with a client (a Mac) sending information to a server (MobileMe). Push technology deals with sending information from a server to a client.

The fact that the changes are sent immediately from the client to the server is not "push".