"True" Pentalobe Screwdriver?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by crspechicn, Aug 26, 2011.

1. crspechicn macrumors newbie

Has anyone been able to find a good ACTUAL pentalobe driver for the bottom case screws? Most are just 5-point star drivers, which work but chew up the screw heads after a couple uses. I have iFixit's version, but that's just the 5-point star driver.

Or, better yet, does anyone know the screw sizes so I could get a replacement set that is phillips or torx?

I have the 2011 13", and it is creaking. Brought it in yesterday, they tightened the screws up which helped, but I have a feeling I'll be needing to tighten them every so often and I don't want to have to take it in each time it starts creaking.

I want to be able to put the pentalobes back in if I have to take it in to Apple, but not have the heads look like I used a screw extractor to remove them.

2. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

3. ZipZap macrumors 601

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

I got one from Ebay. Works great, but took forever to arrive (China).

Note: be careful with various screws on the inside once you open it, some of them are 6 star, so don't strip anything.

5. ZipZap macrumors 601

6. crspechicn thread starter macrumors newbie

Cynicalone.. thanks but I have the iFixit driver and its not a true pentalobe, they even say that in their blog --> see here

ZipZap... you found a source for the screws or are you talking about the driver?