True story about breaking an iPad2...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by guitardogcar, Mar 24, 2011.

1. guitardogcar macrumors member

I honestly thought, as I watched my twin grab the iPad2's cover to re-center it on his lap, that it was safe.

Not so...

In my opinion, the new magnetic cover cannot handle rotational torque when trying to support the new iPad...why? You see, the iPad seemed to jump out of the cover's magnets. Oops, and we thought it was a lost cause when picked up...

...cracked screen everywhere! And so...

We called Apple. Told exactly what happened. They said, "We unfortunately ca't help you, but we could schedule an Apple store appointment as they have more leeway."

We scheduled the next morning on our own at nine twenty...40 minutes before the store was technically open...upon arrival there was a huge queue of happy waiting, magic ticket holding customers and we were immediately ushered to the front to wait for our appointment.

The shortest part of this narrative is this: My brother told the employee that he dropped it off his knees onto a linoleum floor. Employee said, "This will be a lot of paper work, but let me go check stock to see if we can help you today."

He came back with the identical 64 gig wi-fi model, told us, This is your 'get out of jail free pad' and then wished us on our way. We were in and out the door in five minutes.

Gotta say to the folks out there that my bro was expecting to pay. We got lucky, learned about the limitation of the new cover, and felt this story is worth sharing.

Thanks for reading...please respond, and know I kinda dig Apple more than ever right now.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well first off I'm glad that worked out for you, but given the flimsy nature of the cover. It makes sense, no matter the number of magnets apple put in the iPad/cover. I would not use the cover to lift/rotate the iPad 2 at all.

An almost expensive lesson, but it worked out in your favor.

3. guitardogcar thread starter macrumors member