True Tone Display?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrew1995, Sep 23, 2017.

1. andrew1995 macrumors regular

Can someone explain how this is supposed to work? With it enabled, my screen just seems like it's been tinted with yellow? How is this "true tone"?

2. dulaney22 macrumors regular

3. alleggerita, Sep 23, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2017

alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

A sensor embedded near the earpiece measures the color temperature of your surroundings and adjusts the white balance of your screen accordingly. If the lighting around you is too yellow, your screen will usually appear too bluish and thus color accuracy drops. True Tone compensates for this by warming up the white balance of your screen to make the whites whiter again. I’ve never found it too yellow, you might have been used to a screen without true tone and thus your eyes are still adjusting to this new feature. I’ve been using it on my iPad Pro for months now and I find it awesome. Otherwise, check to make sure your night shift mode isn’t actually on.

EDIT: Typo

4. FoxD macrumors 6502a

It is way too yellow IMO...I also hate the night mode they added a while back. Not a fan.

5. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Yes it’s true sometimes it can get a little too yellow, but it’s definitely more soothing for the eyes. Mine at least. ;)

6. andrew1995 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for this, this is my first device with true tone built in, so like you said, maybe I'm just not used to it? I'll keep it enabled for a week or two and see how it goes
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Does the brightness effect it? I've just found when it's on full brightness it looks too yellow but as I reduce brightness it seems more subtle and accurate?

7. alleggerita macrumors 6502

alleggerita

Hmm. I’ve never actually tried to play around with brightness to see if it affects True Tone’s compensation. But I’ll play around with it and get back to you
    --- Post Merged, Sep 23, 2017 ---
    Ok I’ve actually just played around with it and I think at full brightness it’s actually not as yellowish. Or maybe it’s just me. Hahaha

8. fmalloy macrumors 6502

I love it.

People think it's too yellow because they are used to looking at a screen that is too blue. Whites look too blue when you are under incandescent lighting or in sunlight.

Try it for a while, then when you're under a yellowish light turn it off and everything will look cold and blue. The warmth of True Tone will grow on you.