True Tone flash on the iPhone 5S => why not just make it amber?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 158273, Nov 22, 2013.

1. 158273 macrumors regular

Apple describes the True Tone flash as "a white LED and an amber LED that work with intelligent software" but my question is, what if Apple had just replaced the white LED in the iPhone 5 with an amber LED?

The flash on the iPhone is basically only used in low-light situations, and I can't think of any situation where the faces of the people would benefit from the white harsh "fluorescent" LED. But I can see every photo benefiting from an LED with a warmer light.

Basically, my assumption is that people look better under warmer light, so I don't see the need for a white LED at all.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Can't augment the colour intensity of a light source if you only have one colour output.

3. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I think Apples reasoning is that the iphone can determine which combo of white and amber intensity is needed to capture the natural tone.

4. 158273 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, but I'm thinking here, is there really a natural scenario for white light? (besides daylight, wherein the flash becomes unneeded) My understanding is that warmer light always looks more natural on skin, in low-light conditions.

5. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Ah. I see you are not a photographer.

Flashes are not only used in the dark, sometimes even in bright sun light but you have this shadow area that you want to give some details to, so you turn on the flash even here to achieve that goal. Here a neutral white flash is what requires. This is often times called a backfill.

6. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

7. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Why post when you clearly have no knowledge about photography?