Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
Apple describes the True Tone flash as "a white LED and an amber LED that work with intelligent software" but my question is, what if Apple had just replaced the white LED in the iPhone 5 with an amber LED?

The flash on the iPhone is basically only used in low-light situations, and I can't think of any situation where the faces of the people would benefit from the white harsh "fluorescent" LED. But I can see every photo benefiting from an LED with a warmer light.

Basically, my assumption is that people look better under warmer light, so I don't see the need for a white LED at all.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
When you take a picture with the flash enabled, the iSight camera uses software algorithms to assess the colour temperature of the scene. That allows iPhone 5s to determine just the right percentage and intensity of white light versus amber light you need

Can't augment the colour intensity of a light source if you only have one colour output.

Comment

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Apple describes the True Tone flash as "a white LED and an amber LED that work with intelligent software" but my question is, what if Apple had just replaced the white LED in the iPhone 5 with an amber LED?

The flash on the iPhone is basically only used in low-light situations, and I can't think of any situation where the faces of the people would benefit from the white harsh "fluorescent" LED. But I can see every photo benefiting from an LED with a warmer light.

Basically, my assumption is that people look better under warmer light, so I don't see the need for a white LED at all.

I think Apples reasoning is that the iphone can determine which combo of white and amber intensity is needed to capture the natural tone.

Comment

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I think Apples reasoning is that the iphone can determine which combo of white and amber intensity is needed to capture the natural tone.

Right, but I'm thinking here, is there really a natural scenario for white light? (besides daylight, wherein the flash becomes unneeded) My understanding is that warmer light always looks more natural on skin, in low-light conditions.

Comment

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Ah. I see you are not a photographer.

Flashes are not only used in the dark, sometimes even in bright sun light but you have this shadow area that you want to give some details to, so you turn on the flash even here to achieve that goal. Here a neutral white flash is what requires. This is often times called a backfill.

Comment

BSDanalyst

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Hong Kong

Why post when you clearly have no knowledge about photography?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.