True Tone in 2018 MacBook Pro Extends to LG UltraFine and Apple Thunderbolt Displays

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 13, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

When using certain external monitors with the new 2018 MacBook Pro models, the built-in True Tone feature that matches the color of the MacBook Pro's screen to the ambient lighting in a room will also extend to the connected display.

According to a support document published this morning by Apple, True Tone can adjust the Apple Thunderbolt Display using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, the LG UltraFine 5K Display, and the LG UltraFine 4K display.

[​IMG]

When using these displays, you can activate or deactivate True Tone by clicking on the Apple logo in the menu bar, opening up System Preferences, choosing the Displays section, selecting the Display tab and then selecting or unselecting the True Tone checkbox.

[​IMG]

With other third-party monitors, True Tone will not be an available option.

True Tone, first introduced on the iPad Pro and then the iPhone X, uses the sensors in the MacBook Pro to measure the white balance in the room, adjusting the tone of the display for a more natural viewing experience.

[​IMG]

True Tone can cut down on eyestrain and it allows for a more paper-like look for websites, documents, and more.

The True Tone feature is available in the new 13 and 15-inch 2018 MacBook Pro models, which Apple unveiled yesterday. You can purchase the new machines from the Apple online store, with stock configurations set to arrive in just a few days after purchase.

Article Link: True Tone in 2018 MacBook Pro Extends to LG UltraFine and Apple Thunderbolt Displays

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

maybe Apple can finally see what the true tone of the public’s opinion about those keyboards

3. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502a

Mac-lover3

Wait so every display can become True Tone?

4. arnoz macrumors regular

I assume this only works when the laptop screen is opened, aka "clamshell" mode?

5. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Kudo. Hahaha. Well said

6. Frank Dalton macrumors regular

Frank Dalton

No, just the Apple Thunderbolt Display and the two listed LG displays.

7. ondert macrumors regular

ondert

Didn't you read the article? "True Tone can adjust the Apple Thunderbolt Display using an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, the LG UltraFine 5K Display, and the LG UltraFine 4K display." and "With other third-party monitors, True Tone will not be an available option."

8. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

True Tone is just sensors telling the display what to do.

9. dan9700 macrumors 68020

dan9700

True tone just makes things look yellow, would rather have 4k screen

10. eoblaed macrumors 68020

eoblaed

From the original posting:

11. MrBat macrumors regular

MrBat

Can't be unseen. That screen looks upside down.

12. Diamond Dog macrumors member

Diamond Dog

Still haven't really understood the appeal of True Tone. It just turns things yellow for me in most situations.

13. PJivan macrumors 6502

PJivan

If you are in yellow light it will match the light around you. I find it to be easier on the eyes, dosn't turn it into the old good paper but definitelly easy, if you are used to cold gama you can just disable it.

14. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

So is the iPad in the article white and gold or black and blue?

truetonedisplayapplevideo.jpg

15. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I move between true tone on my iPad Pro display and not having it on my laptop/monitors or iPhone, and I never really miss it unless I'm actively turning it on/off on the iPad itself. in general my eyes are fine with adjusting to the white balance of most screens. night shift if anything makes a bigger comfort difference when viewing screens in the dark.

I guess to each their own, but honestly if they were going to make any changes to the display, the top of my list would have been 120hz or HDR.

16. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Yup, much easier on the eyes.

17. Hardy1989 Suspended

Turned off after a few weeks on my iPhone X. Do not like.

18. Internet Enzyme macrumors 6502a

Internet Enzyme

Do the LG Monitors have ambient light sensors?

19. garaig macrumors newbie

That was the first feature which was switch off on my iPad Pros (10.5 and 12.9). It is not acceptable function for example photo adjusting and others. Dear Apple, would you be so kind and to develop the “office” package? My 2017 MBP would be perfect with a little bit smarter Keynote, Pages and Numbers.

20. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

The public's opinion is that they keep buying them without any problem of spending $2000 on them.

The "public" is not some obscure YouTuber or Podcaster that nobody listens to, and the ones who listen to, are the people that already hate Apple.

21. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Yes, it makes everything warmer or cooler. I prefer a well calibrated screen. Night shift is already good enough for nighttime. During the way I definitely wouldn’t like looking at a warm display.

22. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Rudimentarily, yes. Otherwise, you are wrong.

23. lennyeiger macrumors member

Why not have full Adobe RGB color space? At one time the graphics, including photography, market was 98% Mac. I am a photographer, and professional drum scanner operator. My customers depend on me for accurate color rendition. For years I have had to buy non-Apple products. First an Eizo, which I didn't like, and now an NEC Spectraview (which I think is great). I have a late model Apple display next to it (for email, Calendar, etc.), and the Apple monitor does very poorly in the comparison - its a joke. They just can't get it together. They want to lead, but not listen. Going backwards....

24. Frank Dalton macrumors regular

Frank Dalton

The public is not a monolothic block. You're both right.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2018 ---
    I am curious about this because it's been a very long time since I've owned a standalone Apple display. I've had various iterations of their CRTs in the 1990s, but never a flat panel aside from the iMac's built-in one, which I think is pretty great. But I'm also not a photo guy. Is this a regression in Apple display quality? Have any of their previous displays performed well for this kind of work or is this always how it's been?

25. midkay macrumors regular

I love True Tone so much and every display is gonna have this tech in the future. Anxiously awaiting my upgrade from a 7 Plus to an XI Plus in Sept so I can finally get that feature on my phone. It makes the screen so much more natural looking in warmer light - I'll be comfortably using my iPad Pro in a room with dim, warm indoor lighting and then pick my phone up and it's all jarringly, disgustingly blue. Same with Apple Watch, it's way too cool-hued of a screen at night, it actually hurts my eyes sometimes. This discomforting experience needs to be eliminated from tech and I'm so glad Apple is taking the initiative on it. Calling it now, all screens in the future will adapt to their environment, presenting content in a natural, properly color-balanced way relative to the user's surroundings. I'd say within 5 years this will be more of a common thing and within 10 years it will be the absolute, unquestioned norm.