True tone iP8+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gui0312, Sep 22, 2017.

1. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

Man did I miss this on my 7. Having the iPad Pro 10.5 with true tone was awesome, now on the iPhone just completes the package. At least for me, this little thing make a nice difference among others.

2. puma1552 macrumors 601

I like a cooler screen so I doubt I'll use it, but it does work well.

It's weird how people complain about yellow tint, but then embrace white point adjustments that make it yellower than any yellow tint. I suppose one is by design while one is just a defect, and that's why people like one and not the other? I understand the point of true tone, it's just weird how everyone hates on warm screens (not a fan myself either) which by definition is what true tone gives you.

3. gui0312 thread starter macrumors 6502

gui0312

It’s much more subtle than a yellow tint. I can’t even reproduce it half the time when just using night shift. It certain light it gets cooler, others warmer. I think it helps with eye strain, to each his own though.

4. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Awesome... I've begun to do pretty much all my reading (news, magazines, internet, books) on my iPhone 6s+. Glad to see lack of eyestrain is a feature of the 8+ :).

5. Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68000

Alexander.Of.Oz

If you're into reading on your iPhone screen, the true tone makes all the difference, changing the white point as the light changes. However, if you want colour accuracy for viewing images or movies, I'd recommend turning it off! This way the temperature of the image you're viewing will be constant and you won't see any colour shifts as the screens colour temperature changes around on you. With true tone turned off, it is balanced at around 6,500K from several reviews that I read, which is fairly close to daylight and pretty good for viewing image colours accurately.

I would say that the 99% probably wouldn't notice it, but if you have a trained eye, you definitely will notice the colour shifts as the light changes around you.