True Tone on iPad Pro vs. Night Shift in iOS 9.3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tom504, Apr 13, 2016.

1. tom504 macrumors regular

tom504

2. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

to be honest I didn't notice much difference between the two. You just have to manually control one, while the other automatically does it for you.

3. RMSko macrumors 6502

I disagree. I found True Tone to be quite different from Night Shift. I have an iPad Air and a Pro and was wondering why the screens looked so different and then I realized it was because I had True Tone on the Pro.

4. frogger2020 macrumors regular

They are two completely different things. True tone is a continuous, automatic white balance adjustment based upon the ambient lighting conditions. Night shift is a scheduled warming of the ipad colors at night.

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

I think the better question is - is the effect the same?

Obviously how they accomplish it is different, so is the time they work - but is the effect essentially the same, when they both are on?

6. frogger2020 macrumors regular

No, Night Shift is pretty dramatic. The screen yellows when it is turned on. True tone is subtle and you don't notice it until you look at an older ipad. You realize then that the image is so much better and the colors seem crisper.

Hope I was able to explain it a little bit!

7. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

Wondering, what did you think of her conclusion in the video?

8. frogger2020 macrumors regular

She was correct in that True Tone automatically senses the color temperature of the room and adjusts the white balance of the display. Night Shift allows you to manually adjust the white balance of the display. After thinking about it now, I guess they do similar functions, but one is automatic and the other you need to manually adjust by going into settings.

I personally don't really see the point in using Night Shift since I would have to keep changing the value manually, which is a pain, so I turned it off. True Tone is simpler and I don't have to think about it.

9. tom504 thread starter macrumors regular

tom504

I agree. There is value there in the automatic function. Until I saw her conclusion though it did not dawn on me that these two functions may be the same but the controls be different.

10. David58117 macrumors 65816

Night Shift can be adjusted.

I turned mine down..

11. frogger2020 macrumors regular

Yes, I turned it off, I don't see the need to hassle with it continually.