True Tone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MadeByApple, Mar 22, 2016.

1. MadeByApple macrumors member

anyone else thinking the true tone is a bluff? I believe this "feature" is a way for Apple to stop people from returning their product because there's a "yellow tint". Lol.

There's dozens of threads on here about people complaining about the yellow tint on their screens. Now apple say it's intended to look like that. Haha. Good job, Apple.

2. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

If Apple says so, you can turn off the true tone flash and tell them you are not happy with the yellow tint.

3. Serban Suspended

No, because you can test it in every 4 enviroment to see if the screen is suffering from yellow tint
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    I mean in a bright white environment you should not have yellow tint, if you do you can return it
    So don't troll

4. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

My god...people will spin anything to make apple seem like an evil money grubbing company

5. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

I wouldn't call them evil.

They're certainly money grabbing, though ...

6. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'd never use that function. like the night light thing. not my bag im afraid. i want a perfect constant hue. not changing yellowish/blueish throughout the day/night. i'll decide on my own disrupted sleep patterns thank you :)

7. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Well that's like...obvious.

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Is there any chance the displays with "True Tone," could also have improved consistency across the screen?

After all, if you're saying it's going to adjust to the ambient lighting, they could look foolish because people will be looking for the adjustment more and might notice half the screen is yellow and half is white.

I think for many of us, we don't mind some screens are cooler or warmer, we mind when have is white and half is yellow so as you read text across the screen, you watch the background change from white to yellow.

9. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

No it's not
    You missed the point that all 9.7 iPad pros are individually calibrated. Which means no yellow tint.

Plus, if the screens have different color temp, i.e. Yellow tint, true tone will be useless as it will never display the correct color temp
    --- Post Merged, Mar 22, 2016 ---
    Consistency is the precondition for true tone. Only with consistent hardware performance, software can know how to adjust color temp to compensate ambient color. That's partially why all new 9.7 IPPs are individually calibrated

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Doubt that, Bookspine seems to be an issue with every iPad almost.

I don't think they mean that a person adjusts each display to perfection. More like a computer algorithm adjusts each one on the assembly line.

11. jqc macrumors regular

No bookspine on my 12.9 and the store display models I've seen have been almost all good (unlike the air and air 2 that seemed to be almost all bad). I'm hopeful it's a result of this crystal calibration they got going and that it'll translate to the 9.7.

12. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I would be ecstatic if this was true. My iPad 3 and all three Air 2 models I tried over the past year had varying degrees of book spine or color shifting. I'm honestly not that picky, but when the right edge of the screen is cold wight and the right edge shifts to a warm yellow, that's distracting.

13. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Every major manufacturer of tablets has this issue so I think it's inherent in the current technology.

14. TheLondonFella Suspended

TheLondonFella

?

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a new feature, but I'm not sure it really matters, when they mentioned it in the media event, I couldn't help but think its just a marketing stunt. I'm not sure having white shift its temperature really matters, but being so new, I could be wrong.

16. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

It sure is. I saw one Pro that as your read an article on Mac rumors, half the line was a white background and the other half a line of text back was very yellow. I actually thought it was a new Mac rumors design at first. Quite disappointing.

17. pmau macrumors 65816

I'm looking forward to hear about real world use of True Tone.
    Since it is only on or off, you cannot control the impact.
    I bet there will be lots of complaints about wrong ambient measurement, like the brightness control we have today.
    If I would bet, my money would go for the fact that most people turn it off immediately after playing with it.

The "individually calibrated" displays only refer to the fact that backlight LED's are sorted by color to get the best color spectrum from the backlight. That's neither new nor special.

LED's have different tones or colour curves, if you don't screen them and build them into phones just randomly, you always get a horrible screen.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True tone isn't stopping anyone from returning their iPad. Apple has a no questions asked 14 return policy. If you have a defective screen that gives you plenty of time to figure it out and get to the store for an exchange or return.

True tone adjusts white balance. That's not going to help a screen that is permanently yellow tinged. True Tone is a color calibration system, similar to color control panel in OS X.

19. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Between True Tone and the Apple Pencil, I'm thinking this device may be more "acceptable" in client/prospect meetings. In the past, pulling out an iPad with a stylus would typically draw some inquisitive looks - never really a distraction, however. I wonder if this new setup will draw less attention.

20. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Funny you should say that, since the feature is enabed in part by proper ColorSync support in iOS that is expanding. iOS 9 seems to have added it anywhere you use UIImage for free, and UIKit has it supported widely now in 9.3.

Honestly, that combined with the wider gamut has me very interested, since it means developers can start to implement some actual color control in apps to make display a bit more consistent for certain media types.