True unified Inbox

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ViG, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ViG macrumors newbie

Hi,

I hope this hasn't been discussed before. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

I was wondering if there are going to be any plans for a true unified inbox such as on Blackberrys? That and BBM are the only things I miss from my Blackberry.

What I mean by true unified inbox is not simply all my email addresses coming to one inbox but all my messages too - this includes not only text messages but IMs too...

Anyone ever heard of any rumors around this?

Thanks!

2. LapsangSouchong, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Gosh, I hope not! :) That was the thing I most disliked about BBs.

3. ViG thread starter macrumors newbie

Some like it, some don't. At least have the choice.

I hate jumping around a million apps to reply to an email, then an SMS, then an IM through beejive, then and IM through whatsapp...

Even if there was a BBM-like application, that would be awesome. One where I don't have to load up the app to get to the messages. A native messaging app of some sort.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Everyone knows that the iPhone's notification system needs a lot of help. I'm assuming it will be the main focus of iOS 5. I expect they'll probably come up with some new area that will show all communications in one place.

Knowing Apple this WON'T mean changing the Mail or SMS app. It will be like the Spotlight Search...there will be a new place you CAN go to do this stuff or, if you like, you can just ignore it and everything you're used to stays the same.

That's just my guess but that would match what they did with Spotlight and the 'Recently-Used' tray that double-clicking takes you to now. That's just how Apple does things. 'Add on,' but not 'drastically change.'

5. ViG thread starter macrumors newbie

I hope that you are wrong :)

Having it as an add-on would defeat the entire point as it would still require to jump around to get your different messages.

Apple should take the view that the inbox is the place for all messages, not just emails.

A message inbox, not an email inbox if you will!

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I don't think you understood what I was trying to say, then.

Why would having everything in one place require me to "jump around?" That's the point of putting it all in one place, which is what leads me to think you didn't get what I was saying.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As indicated by some of the responses already in this thread, this is not something everybody wants. Not everyone works the same way, and while it may seem to be advantageous to some, it may not fit the work flow of others, myself included.

8. ViG, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010

ViG thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what is called me reading someone's post too fast :)

Your solution would definitely satisfy what I am looking for even if separated from the inbox!

If they do this, the last thing missing would be to improve email so that I can delete things when I am on the subway and it updates my inbox when I back in coverage.

Agreed which is why I said there should be an option so that everyone is happy.

9. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

This can't be the thing you "most disliked" b/c it's an option to turn on and off.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Sounds like you should get a Blackberry. ;)