Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Hi, I use truecrypt to encrypt my sensitive data for cloud storage/backup/ and sync.. I love it and everything works perfectly most of the time.

However, I have come across an issue. If I delete the file from the volume (by dragging it to the trash), the file goes away; however the space that the file was occupying doesn't get restored. Am I missing something? As far as I can remember, this always worked fine. I am using AES-Twofish-Serpent for the encryption, could that could be the problem?

It is annoying to have to create a new volume, and recopy the files, just to regain lost space...

Any help would be appreciated, as always..

Love,
:apple: Ring :apple:

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Try emptying the trash while the encrypted volume is mounted.

Ok, but the files don't actually go into the trash (as far as I can tell)... When I delete the file from the volume, it never appears in the trash, it just disappears from the volume.

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Is the volume on your Mac or in iCloud?

Mac, I had stored it in dropbox, but that would mean it still exists on the mac. The volume is on my desktop, as well as the encrypted "file"

ring

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Try using Terminal to navigate to the volume and see if the deleted files are in the hidden .Trashes folder.

Would turning "show all files" on accomplish the same task?

----------

Try using Terminal to navigate to the volume and see if the deleted files are in the hidden .Trashes folder.

it appears that emptying the trash did in fact work (either that or it fixed itself automagically)

----------

thanks for the help :apple:

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
it appears that emptying the trash did in fact work (either that or it fixed itself automagically)

When a file is deleted, it is not removed from the volume. Instead it is moved to a .Trashes folder so it shows up in the Trash bin. When you empty the Trash bin, the hard drive space is released, effectively deleting the file from the volume.

thanks for the help :apple:
No problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.