Truecrypt issues on new 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by firmansolutions, Mar 13, 2011.

1. firmansolutions macrumors member

firmansolutions

Hi,

Has anyone else been experiencing problems with existing and new Truecrypt containers on the new 2011 MBP. I have read on a forum that its related to the 64bit kernel (the 2011 MBP's boot into this by default).

The error message is attached.

I have tried all the suggested tips to be found, including installing the beta version of MacFuse, removal and re-install of the fusefs.kext file.

Thanks
    Firman

Attached Files:

2. arthur55 macrumors newbie

Same here

Got the same problem trying to create a 10GB TrueCrypt volume. :mad:
    Have You managed to find a solution?

Arthur

3. johnnj macrumors 6502a

You'll also need to upgrade your Paragon NTFS driver if you're opening NTFS formatted containers. The previous version only supported 32 bit.

4. arthur55 macrumors newbie

OK. Thank You for the tips! Installing the latest MacFuse did not solve the problem.
    I'm trying to create a MacOS Extended encrypted volume. I tried two versions (I would use it on other platforms / only Mac) none of those worked.
    TC starts formatting the disk but when it ends 100% I get the same error massage as You can see in the first post.
    I don't really think it has much to do with NTFS but who knows.
    My Mac is new Pro 2.2 with Mac OS X 10.6.7 fresh install.

People are not using TC on Macs or is it just my problem?

Arthur

5. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I use it all the time and aside from the kinks in getting it 64 bit-a-tized, it runs perfectly.

John

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

7. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Maybe not for encrypting entire disks.

I use TC because it allows me to share sensitive data in smallish containers across any of my machines, both for my job and for my personal sensitive information, both Mac and PC.

8. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

ah, i see. wouldn't 7zip be as good? that's what i use to share sensitive information via the internet and beyond.

what are your thoughts on the OS X provided encryption? i'm assuming, based on my experiences at the genius bar, that it's a very simple matter to bypass the OS X native encryption of your home folder if someone really wanted to, ie they could claim to be you and take the macbook in where the genius will use his little hardware console thing to load the system without the password?

edit: oh sorry, you said between mac and pc; i don't think 7zip works for OS X

9. arthur55 macrumors newbie

Hmm. Found the solution that worked for me.
    What I understood so far:

It is indeed a problem with MacFuse that TC installs.
    The version that comes with TC is not 64bit compatible and the google code version is also not 64 bit compatible.
    So there are non-official mods to MacFuse that makes it work in 64 bit environment.

I've found a blog dealing with the issue:
    http://www.offthehill.org/articles/2010/12/31/macfuse-for-64-bit-snow-leopard/

The package that was compiled by the author could be found here. Downloading and installing solved the problem for me... but it has made me rethink the use of TC overall.

Encryption is a highly sensitive issue. Such problems around it makes me a bit uncertain about its reliability.

Arthur

10. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

FWIW, my employer requires I use some form of encrypted disk image on my Mac, either FileVault or a normal encrypted image.

I think FileVault is a little overkill for the whole home folder, so I created a sparse encrypted image using Disk Utility and make sure anything confidential goes in there. It's nice and simple, stable, and portable. Perfect!

11. Bigmacduck macrumors regular

Solved my problem

Thanks Arthur, I can confirm that downloading macfuse-core-10.5-2.1.9.zip solved the problem for me as well!

12. tech324 macrumors 6502

Truecrypt doesn't allow you to encrypt the main partition for MacOS does it? Any idea when this will be supported?

13. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Odd all my macs use the 64bit Kernal and none have had a problem.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

PGP WDE does. And the license allows you to encrypt both the OS X partition and the Windows partition if you partake in boot camp.

A little spendy but I like it. And they are very liberal on the licenses-no call home activation required.

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

TrueCrypt doesn't support encrypting entire volumes on Mac.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Personally i have nothing to hide from the FBI/CIA.

17. frankieboy macrumors regular

7zip is cross-platform. You should be able to compress on one platform and decompress on another. Not sure about 7zip cross-platform support for encryption, but I'd guess it works too. Anyone?

This is incorrect. "Native encryption of your home folder " under Mac OS X is known as Filevault, is performed using AES encryption, and cannot be decrypted without the password except by truly extraordinary means; definitely not by genius bar folks. This assumes your password is a good one. ;)

Account passwords can be easily bypassed by anyone with physical access and a startup disk.

18. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Well, some of us do. :p

19. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

The problem with 7 zip is that you have to decompress the file to open it, and when you do, you create an unencrypted version. If that's not deleted carefully, people will be able to recover it

20. chache macrumors newbie

Not a solution, but a temporary work around, or a quick fix if you really need access. I just booted into 32bit mode by holding down '3' and '2' during startup. Not elegant, but works if your in a pinch.

Hope this helps someone...