TrueCrypt - Mounting and writing to a hidden volume in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by m021478, May 13, 2009.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

I realize the answer to this question may be pretty obvious to some, but I've read the TrueCrypt user manual, and I've searched these forums, TrueCrypt's forums, and google for the answer to my question but I still can't figure this out...

I've created an encrypted file container with a hidden volume using the setup wizard. After completing the wizard, I can't figure out how to properly write data to the hidden volume. The TrueCrypt manual says,

If TrueCrypt doesn't actually mount the hidden volume, and if and any attempt to save data to the area of the hidden volume will be rejected, then can someone please explain to me in layman's terms how the heck I am supposed to go about saving my sensitive files to the hidden volume?

Thanks!
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I believe you mount the outer drive, then you click "Select Device" and select the disk image that has been mounted. It will show up as /Volumes/whateveryourimageisnamed.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

It's to stop the hidden partition being accidentally written over when the outside (unhidden) partition is being written to.

Try inserting the disk, unmounting the outside partition, and then go to "select device" in Truecrypt, and select and mount only the hidden partition.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You want him to select the hidden partition? ;)

From what I read, it sounds like it'll find the hidden partition if you put in the correct password for it while the outer partition file is selected. I might try it out to see how it works.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Try this.

I haven't actually used hidden partitions myself.

7. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

Mounting hidden partitions is easy. As an example, say you have a volume with abc as password for the normal encryption and 123 as a password for the hidden version.

When you mount the file and enter abc as password the normal version will be loaded, when you enter 123 the hidden version will be loaded. This way you can "fool" people showing them the insides of the normal encryption while you have that pr0n collection still safe and sound in the hidden one.

Unless you mount the disc as read-only it will save to it, no problem.