Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I thought i'd be a fan of true tone on the max but since i received the phone yesterday i've turned it off, maybe i'm just used to the older phones should i give it more time?

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
Yes, give it more time.

There was a moment where I was reading a book in a room with low, orange sunlight coming in, and I had to check if true tone was on because the screen looked perfectly white. Turned true tone off and it looked blue like one of those insect-killing lamps.
With it back on again it was the same colour as the A4 paper on the table: i.e. white.

Reactions: Belvoire and Skika

ianpuffen

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Richmond, VA
It will take time for your eyes to adjust, but personal preference is worth considering as well. I've gotten used to Night Shift on my MacBook Pro and 7+, but the addition of True Tone made the display on my XS Max feel excessively warm to me. I played around with the options and settled on leaving TrueTone off and Night Shift on (sunset to sunrise). Granted, that's what I'm already used to from my other devices, but it feels like the best balance for me. On the other hand, Diorama's post above sounds like an example of TrueTone working exactly as it should in warm light. So it's really up to your own preference.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I find TT on my Max to be a little too aggressive, and makes the screen over-yellow in most instances. I've turned it off for now and use night shift sunset to sunrise

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I prefer the look with it off BUT it’s so much easier on the eyes with it on. Going to keep it on now.

I did turn off autobrightness because it’s just too dim for me.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm using Nightshift all day long with a low setting right now.. I have a colorimeter (Spyder) and I have calibrated panels on my desktop computer.. I tuned my Nightshift manually to match the white balance of my calibrated panels and just left it there for now.. True Tone in my opinion isn't working correctly on iOS12.. Also, I have a 2018 MacBook Pro with True Tone and it's working correctly.. True Tone on the phones are WAY too warm under the same lighting.. My MacBook shows PURE perfect white balance.. The phones (I have 3 phone samples) all are overblown, too warm (yellow as people call it).

Reactions: Lyn2012

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
I'm using Nightshift all day long with a low setting right now.. I have a colorimeter (Spyder) and I have calibrated panels on my desktop computer.. I tuned my Nightshift manually to match the white balance of my calibrated panels and just left it there for now.. True Tone in my opinion isn't working correctly on iOS12.. Also, I have a 2018 MacBook Pro with True Tone and it's working correctly.. True Tone on the phones are WAY too warm under the same lighting.. My MacBook shows PURE perfect white balance.. The phones (I have 3 phone samples) all are overblown, too warm (yellow as people call it).

Can you share a screenshot of your settings. Interesting approach. I tend to think True Tone is too yellow as well, but never thought about doing Nightshift all the time.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Here is a pic of mine
4vRQ1Xr.jpg

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
It works fine on my iPad Pro 10.5", but I've found it to be over aggressive on my iPhones, the X, 8 and now the Max so I've turned it off.

I wish Apple let the user have a few more options for calibrating the screen, though.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Here is a pic of mine
4vRQ1Xr.jpg
wow you got a lucky batch... when i have trutone off, mine looks like the right one
and the trutone on is like the one on the left in normal conditions

[but i dont mind anyway, a bit of yellow tinge doesnt give me eyesore at least]

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017
wow you got a lucky batch... when i have trutone off, mine looks like the right one

Remember, what true tone does to your screen depends entirely on your surroundings, the colour tone of the light in the room you are in at that time.

UnifiedMelody

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2017
Australia
Remember, what true tone does to your screen depends entirely on your surroundings, the colour tone of the light in the room you are in at that time.

i will have to give that a spin, but i usually leave it on most of the time because not only does it affect the color of the screen relevant to the ambient lighting it helps auto adjust brightness too* :)

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018

its more "yellow" to my eyes than when I view it on my monitor. Its weird

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I would give it more time as others have said. I have grown to prefer it a little warmer. Either way, it just takes a little for your eyes to adjust.

DanPH77

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2018
Yea I am not sure what to do. I initiated a refund so I can have another week or so to decide...I just want to make sure my screen is good and know there isnt a better one out there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.