Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Hi there Macrumors Community!

I own a Microsoft Laser Mouse 7000 since 2008. It was my first wireless mouse and I really fell in love with the freedom of movement it offers. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, it comes with only 2 parts: the mouse itself and a small USB dongle that connects to the computer - PC or Mac. Pretty basic mouse, has only 1 side button but it's extremely convenient for people like me who needs to carry it around on a backpack full of other stuff all the way to work and then bring it back home and use it for gaming. However, the time to replace it has finally come - even though it still works, it's literally disintegrating after many years of abuse :(

So, I started looking for alternatives and quickly stumbled across brands like Razor and Steelseries, and I was almost deciding to buy a Razor Mamba when I realized that these so-called "wireless" mice actually require a rather big docking station nearby, and it needs to be connected to the notebook via a USB cable. Therefore, although they are "wireless", they aren't portable.

Does anyone know of a gaming grade mouse that offers the same kind of wire freedom as that old Microsoft mouse with superior performance? I don't really care for flashy lights or good looks in general - although a good grip is always welcome. I just want something independent from cables that I can carry around without adding too much volume(no problem if the mouse has a charging cable/station that I can leave back home, but it must work without it). Also, it must work on my Macbook Pro as well as in Windows. And the more thumb/side buttons, the better :cool:

In case you are wondering, I do play a lot of CS:GO and Dota2, and occasionally other FPS and strategy games.

Thanks in advance for your comments :D

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Logitech G602, especially since Logitech fixed its Mac software to not be totally worthless. Battery life in fantastic. I don't game every day, so I've only replaced them once in the year I've owned it. It has a micro receiver than you can store inside the battery compartment or keep connected to your Mac all the time.

kaioshade

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
I use the Razer oroghi for wireless gaming on my macbook Pro. It is native bluetooth, so no dongles to mess with or keep track of. The sensor is very good, and there is no lag at all. However the mouse has two downsides:

1 - Due to aggressive power management, the mouse goes to sleep FAST. if you are not using it for about 60 seconds it will instantly sleep, and will require a mouse click to bring it back. Wake up is about a second, but still is annoying.

2 - Due to the power of the mouse, it absolutely destroys batteries. It will last a few hours, but do not expect long marathon sessions using this mouse. I use the apple rechargeable, and have had good luck with them.

Keep those two things in mind and you might find the mouse suitable for your needs.

saotomefirst

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Rio de Janeiro
Thanks for the replies, saturnotaku and kaioshade :)

The Razer Orochi is surely more attractive, especially for its native bluetooth connection, but it lacks side buttons for all my needs. So far I'm inclined to buy the Logitech G602 for its 6 side buttons, but I'm still searching for options.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to tell me :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.