Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Anyone get it to work?

Claims 6 cents/min for cell to cell calls which would be pretty good...use wifi at home for calls and never use your minutes :eek:

twinsdad

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2007
I used it on my n95 and it works just fine. You will have an account on their website where you can log in and check your minutes at any time. If I remember right, the setup is pretty painless.

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Some say its great, some say it doesn't work at all. Post reviews people! :D

I don't have wifi atm but would buy a router if this worked.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Anyone get it to work?

Claims 6 cents/min for cell to cell calls which would be pretty good...use wifi at home for calls and never use your minutes :eek:

Cell to cell? As in using the network towers? That's not allowed in the SDK. Sounds fishy at best.

I am waiting for a program called iCall, which is VOIP for wifi. Steve Jobs said himself that VOIP can only be done over wifi.

alexeym

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
London
it works for me

Happily used up the £2 they gave me when I created an account. I made 3 phone calls to a landline number - first time the sound quality was rather bad, so I hung up, tried again and the next 2 were pretty ok. Not perfect but for that price...

Would love to see Skype in the App store!

aerospace

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Cell to cell? As in using the network towers? That's not allowed in the SDK. Sounds fishy at best.

I am waiting for a program called iCall, which is VOIP for wifi. Steve Jobs said himself that VOIP can only be done over wifi.

It is cell to cell via wifi, as in if your at home in range of your wifi you can use it, or if your at mcdonalds on wifi you can use it, or overseas at a hotspot you can use it and not pay a million dollars in roaming charges.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
What's the audio quality like on Truphone or other VOIP apps? Is it as clear as when using the cell network?

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
What's the audio quality like on Truphone or other VOIP apps? Is it as clear as when using the cell network?

I've been trying it on & off for 2 days. Sometimes it's good, other times poor.

Funny thing is I used it for over a year on a Nokia E65 and I rarely had a poor call. If I did, I think it was my internet connection and not Truphone.

The iPhone version isn't quite up to snuff yet. But still worth trying out IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.