Trust BluRay Burner?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EricBrian, Apr 8, 2008.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

So, I want to buy a BluRay burner and use it as a backup device for photos. Are the burner's mature enough to trust? If so, which one would you buy?

Thanks! :)
    Eric

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How many photos do you have?

Considering that both DVD-Rs and DVD burners are extremely cheap, and Blu-Ray discs and burners are quite the opposite, it will probably be much more cost effective to back them up to DVDs and have to use a few DVDs instead of a single Blu-Ray disc.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i would agree here.

4. EricBrian thread starter macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

I already have about 50 DL DVDs. I think I need to go with a medium that holds more than DLDVD and that is why I want to switch to BluRay.

Thanks for the input. :)

Eric

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Holy **** that's a lot of photos. Sounds like Blu Ray would be a good option

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Well, 25GB BD-R discs are $10+ each, and 8.5GB DVD+R DL discs are ~$1.50, so you're looking at more than twice the cost for the same amount of storage. The write times for a BD-R at 2x and 3 DL DVDs at 8x are pretty close. Also, Blu-ray burners cost about 10x as much as a DVD burner. But, Blu-ray discs are more durable than DVDs, it takes a lot more mistreatment to scratch a Blu-ray disc. If going Blu-ray is cost-effective for you, why not go for it? I'm personally going to wait a while longer while the prices keep falling and the speeds keep increasing.