trust certificates

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SIMONP1965, Jan 15, 2012.

1. SIMONP1965 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone knows enough about trust certificates to tell me if they could be used as a gateway to remotely accessing a mac as my Macbook Pro was compromised, and am trying to figure out how they got in, I've run across a few Trust Certificates the look a little fishie on my machine, they were spelled like this " A-Trust-Qual-01, A-Trust-Qual-02, A-Trust-nQual-01 and A-Trust-nQual-03".
    My question is who or what company are these for? there was files i saw from Qualcomm corp, witch was a system i used as a 48 state truck driver to communicate with my dispatch center, are those Qualcomm certificates? also theres a from " COMODO Certificate Authortiy", i had thought i read somewhere that "COMODO" was a hacker who stole trust certificates, is that right? and i have certificates from DigCert, root certs, i thought DigCert was bad news now and can't run on HTTPS servers, id love to here from people in the know about Trust Certificates cause when it comes to code... I'm lost.. Thoes Qual certs are important if there from Qualcomm, thanks for all you guys help. :D

2. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Depending on how you remotely access your computer, a stolen certificate could be used to get in unauthorized. To do so, somebody would most likely have to steal your private key.

As far as I know, Qualcomm is a wireless chip manufacturer, so it's normal to find their certificates on your computer. Oh, and Apple revoked the stolen DigiCert certificates in a software update from a while ago, so if you keep your computer up to date, you should be safe.

3. SIMONP1965 thread starter macrumors newbie

Qualcomm is a chip maker but your not going to have trust certificates running a chip, those certificates are for browser permissions and am trying to verify if those are Qualcomm certs or not. When i first discovered someone remotely accessing me Mac i found files from Qualcomm on this very Mac and was wondering if those certs are how they got those Qualcomm files to download onto this mac.