Trust Worthy Email Service?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orbitalpunk, Jun 30, 2015.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

Hi,

Could someone please advise me on what email service to use that would be secure or at lease somewhat trustworthy? Something that would work with Apple Mail? I want to get away from Gmail. I have Protonmail but they don’t support Mail Clients yet. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Encryption is not mandatory as most people I know wouldn’t support it. But at least a company i could trust to not snoop around in my emails like Gmail does.

Thanks

2. dave559 macrumors newbie

You might wish to consider looking into registering your own domain name and purchasing cheap email/web hosting. There will be many hosting companies in your country which can provide this service for a reasonable price. If you don't need a fancy web hosting service, you should be able to find a hosting account quite cheaply.

The advantages include that your email isn't being scanned for advertising, at least not at your end (although it is sadly likely being intercepted in transit by one or more intelligence agencies, and will also be scanned "at the far end" to profile your email address and IP address if any of your email correspondents do use "free" advertising-oriented email services for their email (and quite probably also if they or you use an Android device or Google browser (for webmail access), irrespective of where the email is hosted)), that you can have several email addresses for different purposes, and that your email address isn't tied to a specific service provider (so you can fairly easily change hosting company but keep your email address).