Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Cheap Applecare only emailed on Ebay could be the absolute perfect product to scam with.
Let me make the following points.

* Internet anoniminity, done via email only. No real mail trace/trail.

* Selling to a very loyal/trusting customer base - Applecare has to be the best performing warranty sales wise on the planet. I've probably bought thousands of electronics gadgets during my life and maybe bought 2 extended warranties EXCEPT on Apple products. I havent seen real numbers but the number of % warranties apple sells vs the industry I am sure is absurd.

* Incredible price reduction lures people in. (People want an awesome deal, something for nothing,greedy.)

* A product thats intangible, that can be sent via email thats fairly expensive. (Your buying numbers and letters.Pure profit)

* It appears to be legit in the beginning nearly 100% of the time. (Gives the scammer time to get good feedback and get past and most refund time limits and customer is initially soothed, as from my research takes almost a minimum of 60 days for Apple to reject the code, sometimes much longer, even years.)

* A product you may possible never even use.(Laptop never breaks down,you may discontinue its use,or resell it in 3 yrs.)

MacBook Pro 15-17"
Ebay Prices - No box Applecare - Avg. $149-$169 price.
Ebay Prices - Original Box Applecare - Avg. Price $250-$345 price.
(What could be the possible justification for this?? Oh ya... Scam)

Liquidator argument is laughable..
Multiple people selling these by the truckloads everyday, whom seem to have an inexhaustible supply, wouldn't it seem normal that if these were liquidated that would mean there was a set amount of these, and wouldn't that mean that under normal circumstances the price would slowly rise as they became scarce? But they don't, I also have a hard time with the"liquidator" theory. Look at the big sellers of these , a lot of these guys are getting feedback of 10-20 a day for nearly a year. Who has gone out of business that thousands if not tens of thousands of "liquid-able" applecares were in inventory.

If it appears to good to be true, it probably is...
So cliche , and yet nearly all the time, so true.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I've bought Applecare on ebay twice with no issues. Used it for repairs and got my G5 replaced with one too. Mine came in boxes that were mailed to me though.

Nano2k

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2009
Europe
1. Powerseller with thousand of transactions and basically 100% positive feedback.
2. This has been happening for a long time and Apple has done nothing about it.
3. Applecare registers without issues.

If it was as you say there would be thousands of people on forums complaining that their Applecare got revoked and doubt the powersellers with thousands of feedbacks would still be doing business on Ebay if they were scammers.

Now buying with a seller with a 10 sales history thats another thing...

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
1.) Dont mean anything in my theory, feedback is usually left shortly after purchase. You cannot leave additional feedback at a later date. Which you dont find out you been screwed for months+.

2.)That now may be a good point, I would like to think Apple would crack down on it.

3.)Of course it registers that what makes a scam work well, it allows them to get distance.

I will may also give you , you would think there would be more complaints.

However, let me just theorize this...
The majority of the cheap applecare explosion has happened within the last year on ebay. Im willing to bet the vast majority of these sold are still under the original warranty, and or the machines haven't warranted a trip to the repair center yet. Actually if you google ebay applecare scam, threads on other forums are poping up, even on macrumors.

I just cant seem to get a legit answer to why, no boxed applecare even on EBAY sells for 1/2 the price of the boxed version. Please provide me with that answer. NONE of the "powersellers" will ship the box that sell them in the $150 price range. Yes, I have messaged dozens with feed back as high as 10,000. Why?? Why no simple box even if I am willing to pay extra for shipping?

Jester, I dont see any problem with Ebay "if" you get the box, but the fact is the "cheap" apple care have a story why they wont ship the box.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
I have purchased applecare from a seller called geng7892001 ( 1132)

The Applecare was genuine, recieved via email within 48 hours and registered without issue. The only issue some may have is that transfer of applecare is only valid with proof of purchase from authorised reseller, you don't NEED to transfer applecare as it's only the machine serial number they bother with.

Apple themselves know about the ebay applecare, Executive Care informed me that it couldn't be transfered to a different name but it's 100% legitimate applecare protection.

Now, why keep bashing genuine ebay sellers when you have been told it's genuine?

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
All Taken,

Great an actual ebay buyer. :)
Love to hear your input.

1.) How long ago did you buy your Applecare from ebay? Have you looked at the 3 links above? The problem with them doesn't arise right away. In fact its abnormal to even have a problem in the first 2-3 months after purchase.

The problem isn't getting the code to work after purchase, the problem isn't even getting the initial confirmation from Apple saying is geniune.
The problem is Apple kicking back the codes several months later. Primarily for 2 reasons, 1.) Selling bogus codes from China, that make it through the first lines of Apples defense, then they find it was falsely generated. 2.) People selling the codes on ebay, keeping the box with serial and then getting a refund after your ability to get a refund has passed thus nullifying your Applecare.

Now, if you bought your code say 6-8 months ago and just had some warranty work done recently , thats a good sign.

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Hi,

It was less than 2 months ago, the problem I have with the above statement is that "Zahra" (I can't give a full name) in Apple Executive Care has assured me that the applecare has been honoured by Apple and registered to me, thus ensuring no partial refund can be made to any other than the applecare activator.

I can only advise those with any doubt to contact Apple themselves to obtain proof of the above. If anyone has the issue you describe they can then say to apple "look here is my proof that you accepted and assured my applecare protection".

applecaresecret

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Applecare Warranty codes have a pattern! Very easy to crack Beware eBay Applecare!!!!

I just bought a bunch of Applecare Warranty codes for Imac, Macbook Air, and my personal Macbook Pro. I realize that the codes have a pattern (I know it) and easy to crack it down (just change some certain digit, then you get a free code). I'm just wondering this may be the way eBay Applecare sellers sell Applecare without boxes.

This might be the watch those eBay sellers get Applecare codes.

1. Go to https://selfsolve.apple.com/Agreements.do to get in the register page and because the code is random by a certain pattern. So, the eBay sellers can use the codes with unfinished register process to provide them to eBay customers. Moreover, the site lets people try to put the codes as many time as they like. As a result, you will get one that it will be recognized by code available sign.

2. After registering the code, anyways Apple website automatically send the confirm e-mail to customers who registered the codes without checking code valid.

3. Applecare coverage can be checked by the month of expiration date warranty ( https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do ) which is very weired.

Since the eBay sellers get Applecare warranty codes for free, they just give money back whenever buyers use invalid codes or question about the boxes and serials. If my scenario is right, those eBay Applecare Warranty sellers get millions in profit without investing a cent.

I'm pretty sure for those eBay sellers who sell Applecare warranty codes without boxes will use this method to get Applecare Warranty codes for all Apple products.

I think it will be better to move this thread to the big discussion board because this is a big hole for Apple.

I'm just thinking how much money do app.holdings, isellimac, macman and other eBay Applecare Warranty sellers make if they get it for free?

I love Apple!!!!! And hopefully Apple does something to keep this codes safe!!!!

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I just bought a bunch of Applecare Warranty codes for Imac, Macbook Air, and my personal Macbook Pro. I realize that the codes have a pattern (I know it) and easy to crack it down (just change some certain digit, then you get a free code).

Yep, this has been discussed before - myself and another Apple reseller figured out the way this was done - but guess what? The idiots out here went ahead and purchased codes anyway. In fact, the fake Applecare thread was even shut down by a moderator because macman was on it, and apparently he was a honest dealer and we were the dishonest ones, trying to make his business look bad. :rolleyes:

If anyone used common sense it's obvious that there is no reason to sell 'codes only' for a seller - unless it is fraudulent. Apple is relatively lax when it comes to updating security for itunes and applecare codes - really, really stupid.

applecaresecret

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010

The Applecare was genuine, recieved via email within 48 hours and registered without issue. The only issue some may have is that transfer of applecare is only valid with proof of purchase from authorised reseller, you don't NEED to transfer applecare as it's only the machine serial number they bother with.

Apple themselves know about the ebay applecare, Executive Care informed me that it couldn't be transfered to a different name but it's 100% legitimate applecare protection.

Now, why keep bashing genuine ebay sellers when you have been told it's genuine?

Thousands of feedbacks do not mean he/she sells valid Applecare code. Obviously, he/she can issue a full refund to any customers because it is a free code that you can crack it by youself from Apple site.

applecaresecret

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010

I just finished a Applecare Warranty research on eBay. Guess what.... the seller that you bought Applecare from has the same type template format with seller called kordepa with 7 feedbacks, and from Japan. I bet that both accounts have the same owner, but one of them got suspended.

XxEjGxX

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2009
haha a very intriguing investigation
signature_BasicSmile.jpg
very well done for finding that... scum profiteering off of apple

applecaresecret

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
To find a serial Apple computer serial hardware, those sellers just go to the Apple store and flip Apple computers to get serials, then they have serials for Macbook Pro 15/17, Mac book Air 13, Apple Imac. The serials Apple computer serials use for matching with certain types of Applecare Warranty code.

All tricks is here!!!!!

Com'on Apple, even kids can crack this!!!!!!!

I believe that Apple lost at least 8 millions for those online auction Applecare Warranty sellers. 55555555555

Since Apple never took a law sue to anyone personally, those illegal Applecare Warranty resellers have no fear.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Let's remember who is getting scammed here - the buyers of AC, not Apple. Apple has no financial reason to track down the fraudulent AC sellers - the only thing they have to do is refuse to cover an item and put the proof of purchase on the individual trying to make the claim.

An individual buying a fraudulent code has only 60 days to make a claim against the code seller (via paypal/ebay). In most cases, the person who was scammed doesn't discover the scam until long after the claim period.

AppleGuy513

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2010
Not a scam

I have purchased a few AppleCare warranties from isellimac with no problems at all. When I asked how they get such a good deal they replied saying since they are purchased in bulk and there is nothing to ship it immensely cuts down on costs.

These codes were purchased about 6 months ago and I actually had to take one of my Macs in for repair recently. This one had an AppleCare purchased from isellimac and there was no issue when I had it repaired. No problems here!

applecaresecret

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
There is not real proof for those eBay Applecare sellers. They can say whatever they want to. I am just wondering how they drang down $350+tax products to 150$-eBay 10% fees.Even Amazon, a biggest online store, sells Applecare Warranty with boxes and serial codes. Normally electronic products are very high margin cost. Moreover, people only think it is safe to count on eBay sellers' feedback.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
Let's remember who is getting scammed here - the buyers of AC, not Apple. Apple has no financial reason to track down the fraudulent AC sellers .....

that assumes that apple catches every single counterfeit code....if they don't, then they're providing repairs without getting paid, so basically apple gets scammed too.

eddiehaskell

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
As always...if it sound too good to be true it probably is. Not sure if that applies in this case, but something sounds fishy.

Mebsat

macrumors regular
May 19, 2003
Florida
I notice they never email a photo of the "legitimate" AppleCare certificate. That wouldn't cost anything would it? They could take a picture while they were filling the order, since they had to open the box to get it.

Also, a 6 ounce first class envelope is $1.73, I'd gladly pay for shipping if any of these "no box" AppleCares were real.

They aren't.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have purchased a few AppleCare warranties from isellimac with no problems at all. When I asked how they get such a good deal they replied saying since they are purchased in bulk and there is nothing to ship it immensely cuts down on costs.

These codes were purchased about 6 months ago and I actually had to take one of my Macs in for repair recently. This one had an AppleCare purchased from isellimac and there was no issue when I had it repaired. No problems here!

Yes it is a scam. Sure, you get a valid code, register your AppleCare and may even have a repair completed under your AC plan. But it is a stolen code, and if that code just happens to match the code in a retail box someone else buys from Apple, when their registration fails, Apple will investigate, and you will lose all AppleCare coverage since you were using a stolen code.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Surely though, Apple use the same system on AppleCare as they do on iTunes gift cards? That they're not activated until marked as paid for on their system...

And does anyone know if this is the same for MobileMe?!?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Surely though, Apple use the same system on AppleCare as they do on iTunes gift cards? That they're not activated until marked as paid for on their system...

And does anyone know if this is the same for MobileMe?!?

Different schemes both easy to crack..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.