trustworthy anti-malware freeware for mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by machiavelli1531, Mar 20, 2009.

1. machiavelli1531 macrumors newbie

I have reason to believe there might be a trojan on my mac, my isp keeps telling me that my system is sending out massive amounts of junk mail.
    I can't seem to find any reliable free anti-malware software for mac that isn't malware itself.
    Does anyone out there now of any freeware that would scan for trojans?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

PS
    please don't post saying that there is no malware for mac. I know viruses are rare and trojans are even more rare but the tech support at apple even recognize that their are some out there.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

There are no viruses for Mac

There is one trojan. It doesn't cause Spam Mail though. Have you checked other computers in your household? Anyone (neighbors etc) connecting to your wireless? perhaps your Windows Bootcamp Parition or parallels or fusion Windows virtual machine is infected with a Virus? Kids computers? Shadow IP addresses?

3. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

There is ClamXav. It's a legit program.
    It probable will not help you with your problem though. It only defends against know threats.

4. machiavelli1531 thread starter macrumors newbie

The first thing we did when we were told about the problem was increase the incription on our wireless router to 128bit.
    I have had my three housemates who use PC's run scans of their computers. But because of the dates and times of the 'incidents' it led me to believe that my mac might be causing the problem so i deleted the windows bootcamp partition i had but my isp keeps picking up these massive loads of junkmail being sent and i just want to run some kind of scan to confirm that my mac isn't causing the problem.

5. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

ClamXAV only detects Windows threats.

You could try running iAntiVirus, which is free, but make sure you back up your data first. I tested it out, it automatically quarantines whatever it deems to be a threat, and in some cases, has damaged the files. I've had it fail to detect installed trojans in the past, and it's threat database is full of "threats" that are actually legitimate software.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Run Activity Monitor to see your bandwidth usage.

I would bet it's the pcs.

7. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its the Windows PC's. Hackers don't produce spam software for Mac's because they'd infect themselves and their own Unix machines. Remember your ISP could be completely wrong, my ISP thought i was spamming people when i didn't even have a computer, and it turned out they had assigned the same IP address to three different people! I only found out when Rapidshare said i was already downloading a file :rolleyes:

8. abyssus macrumors newbie

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Sophos is not recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. ClamXav is a safer choice, although no antivirus software is required to keep your Mac safe. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:
    Nice resurrection of a 2 year old thread. Sounds like an advertising attempt.