Truveo plays YouTube videos HQ over 3G

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TimothyB, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

If you are like me, and upset the YouTube app on the new 3G still plays EDGE quality while on 3G, then you might want to check out Truveo.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=284639240&mt=8

I disabled my Wifi to use 3G, and from the videos I tested that were youtube, they were full quality. And not just standard quality, if a youtube video has the High Quality option, it used it from what I saw. Now you can get clear youtube video and sound over 3G anywhere (especially the HQ videos).

I only had 2 bars when testing it, and there only seemed to be a few seconds pause for buffering.

The app also displays video from other sources than youtube.

Note: When I first used the app, I left the app to turn wifi off, but when I relaunched Truveo it gave me a no internet error, even though I was on 3G. So I tried another internet app, like Youtube App, tested a video, horrible looking. Then I went back to Truveo and it worked this time and was stunned at the quality video compared to what I just saw from the other App on 3G.

I figure this works for EDGE too, but might take longer to load.

2. MisterEd macrumors 6502

That is very cool.. I was wondering if they'd increase the quality of the YouTube a bit now that we have faster data speeds with the 3G.

Now if only I had some 3G reception :(

Ed

3. TimothyB thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I hope one day they'll update the youtube app to allow full quality over 3G, or just a simple toggle for low or high if you don't want to wait over EDGE.

But this app will be nice in the meantime for full quality. Though, sound seems a little odd, narrow, or some how thin. I mean, the few times I wanted to show someone a video off youtube, the quality was so bad it was like what's the point, ruining one of the cool factors of even having it.