Try-on Experience is half useless

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by samiznaetekto, Apr 10, 2015.

1. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

...because the #⌚ runs in demo loop. Yes, you can make your mind about the material and strap, you can get the feel of wearing this object on your wrist, but you can't get a feel what it would be like actually USING it. How well does it wake up by raising the wrist? You can't know until you pay $$$ and wait another month.

2. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Didn't realise this, but makes sense I guess - probably difficult (too busy) to pair them to each customers phone

On the other hand I suspect part of the reason is to hide any negatives that may stop you from purchasing

3. profets macrumors 68040

At least yours had a demo loop running. All the try on watches at the Apple store I went to were dead.

4. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i never expected to be able to play with the watch during my try on... i'm using it strictly to determine what size i need so i can cancel my other order....

5. allenshi macrumors member

the try on literally is just a "try on" session.

When you try to play with watch its on a demo station and its set up as a demo and can't really do much.

the 32 MM i played on seemed very small

6. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yeah, this is not exactly the most idyllic experience one could have hoped for.

Even those of us who made up our minds and successfully placed our orders after placing them at ungodly hours are one by one finding we could face cancellations if we ordered more than 2 for additional family members.

7. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

the store i just got back from had a couple that were running full software (not demo and not in a loop). It was a smooth as any other apple product you would expect. I assume that third party apps will be a little "sluggish" until apple opens up the API but nothing for apple to be remotely scared about.

After going and seeing/wearing one I am overly excited about my order this morning.

8. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

>Didn't realise this, but makes sense I guess - probably difficult (too busy) to pair them to each customers phone

They should be paired with the iPhones underneath the table like during press demos.

>On the other hand I suspect part of the reason is to hide any negatives that may stop you from purchasin

Main reason.

9. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

That's not much better than a demo though is it? Ideally you want it paired with your phone and your apps

10. vinitmenon macrumors regular

vinitmenon

you have to double click that long button below crown to wake it for demo...

my experience was horrible.. it was an old 40s-50s guy who i think was pretty new to that store...

11. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Well, it's like trying a MacBook or iMac - it doesn't have your apps and data, but you can still get the taste of how it actually WORKS.

12. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Just got back from my try-on session and after my session (which I found priceless) they also have 6-8 watches attached to a base with an iPad mini attached that are fully working (except phone features). They were located on the side wall.

13. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

And how well raise-2-wake feature worked? :D

14. PLamarine macrumors 6502

PLamarine

Ha! I didn't try lifting it...assume it was attached to table. Good point!

15. allenshi macrumors member

going into the try on i was hoping to make a desicion on the SS black Band or the Space Gray Black band...but it did not help at all

16. Pooshka macrumors 65816

Actually, it's even less than half-useless since some stores don't even let you try on a watch with a proper band size. All have large bands by default.

17. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

Whoever tries to raise the whole table to wake the #⌚ on it will become an instacelebrity!!! :D

18. metacove1 macrumors member

They probably want to keep your focus on the feel and aesthetics so people don't get caught up playing with the UI itself. They want to keep people moving. The try on is intended for cosmetic purposes.

The store I went to had SEVERAL stations to play with the software itself. These stations were free to use and accessible without a reservation.

19. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple did have plenty of fully-functioing demo units.

The Watch is too personal to allow you to test features in a try-on. Save some of the experience for after purchase...

20. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am sure the "old guy" liked you too!:eek:

21. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Had a try-on appointment this morning. My gal let me try on as many different ones as I wanted.

The only one that was hard to judge was the link bracket since it had all the links in and was huge on my wrist.

The leather loop was the large size, so I could clearly tell I would need the medium for my 185mm wrist. The nice thing is that each segment is magnetized, so the band felt secure.

The 42mm classic buckle fit well, which is good since that's the one I bought. The band is wider in real life than I was anticipating, but not outrageously so.

The Milanese loop band is a very soft, flexible material and looks great. The loop isn't too thick where it folds over along the bottom watch lug. It does, however, feel like the magnet could slip or become dislodged by putting my hand in my pants pocket if I catch the edge just so. So I'm kind of glad I opted for the classic buckle instead, as the loop was my second choice.

The link bracket is beautiful, but I wasn't ready to spend that much. Maybe later as an upgrade I'll buy the band. It was quite heavy (in a good way). Heavier than my Concord Mariner SG's stainless steel bracelet.

The fluoroelastomer band is much softer and more flexible than expected. For a 'rubber' band, it was about as nice as it can get.

The watch screen has what looks like a super slim air gap. Not sure if it's real or just apparent. The watch seemed fluid enough, just like in the demo videos. The haptic tap was not super strong, but it looks like there's a setting for tap strength if need be.

22. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

My thread is EXACTLY NOT about how it fits and looks.

23. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Pardon me for not carefully reading the user license terms and agreements on "your" thread.

24. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

I went to my apple store and had my try-on appointment with the demo models and after then i was invited to try the watches that were on display to have a play just as you can do with iPhones and iPads on display. In 30 mins I learnt vevery single function of the watch. It was great.

25. samiznaetekto thread starter macrumors 65816

All forgiven. :D You just missed the point of the OP.

Care to share with the world how well the Raise-to-Wake works? Screen reflectivity? UI intuitivity - "where am I? what button should I press?" etc etc