Try to talk me out of the iPhone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leandroc76, Oct 5, 2007.

1. leandroc76 macrumors regular

I am currently without a cell phone... basically I waited to my service contract ran out. It's been a month without service. No big deal. I've wanted it since it's announcement, but was wary.

Somebody give me a reason NOT to buy the iPhone. I know this sounds silly... but I'm about to buy a $400 cell phone!

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Just think of how big of a rubber band ball you could make with $400 of rubber bands! That right there is reason enough to not buy it. :)

3. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Uh... It's $400.

Seriously... I don't know what you're looking for. Affirmation that you should drink the kool aid like I did? I love the iPhone. I paid $600 for it. But I make good money and at the time I was able to afford it. Could I have done without it? Absolutely. Anything that isn't a necessity can be rationalized by whatever reasoning you want since rationality is not mandatory in pursuing wants as opposed to needs.

Nobody but you can tell you whether you should spend $400 on a completely unnecessary item. You know your finances and whether or not you can afford it or if you have other things you should spend that money on. After all, it isn't a question of need.

As you get older, you'll have to make decisions like this all the time. Sure I can afford to lease a BMW... but you know what, buying a Honda Civic hybrid was the practical thing to do. You start having other things, bills, etc. that take precedence. No one else is going to look out for your financial security. I know that sounds off the beaten path, and I know it sounds like a lecture, but learning the lesson of Time Value of Money, the central and most critical principle in all financial transactions, begins with getting control over the little things that you get nickel and dimed on every day. It is the difference between someone living paycheck to paycheck, and someone enjoying an affluent retirement worry-free.

4. earthsick macrumors regular

Why do threads like this exist? If you have a little voice in your head saying $400 is too much for a phone then simply do not get it.

5. glennyboiwpg macrumors 6502

I recently tried to use the touch and I absolutely loved it! My next phone will be an iphone 4sure!

At the end of the day, buy what you want... cause if you get that cheapy phone, in a year from now you'll regret it...

buy what you want now, so you don't have to rebuy what you really want later.

6. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Snatch up a used one for $225 like I did :D You will have no problem then

7. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Do you have an iPod? If not you are not just buying a phone you are buying Apples best iPod and portable browser.:D

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If the price is an issue, you could also wait a bit to see if any refurb iPhones become available. They're sold at a good discount from new, and they come from the factory in as-new condition, so they're a good deal.

The drawbacks: you have to buy them online, and they go out of stock fast. Also, you don't get the same awesome iPhone box, but for many that's not so big a deal.

9. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I used to think this was the right kind of reasoning. But it isn't. You know those guys who run banks and drive Ferraris... you know why they have as much money as they do?

Because of the Time Value of Money principle. This central principle of finance dictates that borrowing money comes at a premium. There are two sides to that transaction... the borrower who wants the money now and has to pay more back later, and the lender/investor who has some money now but doesn't need it now and will collect back more later.

Which do you suppose is the wealthier side of that equation? The problem with people these days is they're constantly living on the wrong side of that equation... thinking that their money will buy better things now than it can later, totally ignoring the fact that investing that money now will produce MORE money later... and chances are, with technology, higher tech products will be cheaper. End result is that, to put it in terms that might mean something to the "gotta have it" folks here: Those who invest/save their money now end up with more cash to buy much cooler toys than those who buy toys now.

Even worse are those who buy toys now on credit under the premise that they can make the payments. But if the premium for that credit is an interest rate anywhere between 9 and 18 percent, as most credit cards are, then you're paying a LOT more later to have that toy now than what it's even worth right now... and it'll be worth even less by the time it's paid off. These people never get out of debt and when they reach retirement age, the younger generation, if they believe the philosophy of the Neoconservatives, will refuse to pay the exponentially higher cost of taking care of those elderly who didn't invest wisely in their own futures.

So what's the real lesson here?

Don't buy what you think you want now... because:

a) You can invest now and have more money and more choices later.

b) Technology will ALWAYS give you more bang for your buck later.

c) What you think you want now you might not want in the near future.

d) What you want now will be obsolete six months from now.

If you don't need it, don't buy it now... save so you can afford later to buy both what you need and what you want.

If you "must" have it... buy what you can afford now. It will go out of style or become obsolete anyway, so unless you have money burning holes in your pockets there's no advantage to being a first buyer other than bragging rights... and bragging rights are intrinsically worthless.

Every time I buy a computer, I buy it just before the new models come out. Why? Because it's cheaper, and the model cycle is a revolving door... every model is going to be obsolete in six months or less and there is always a newer, faster, better coming out... so you might as well stay on the cheaper side of that cycle. You're not going to get any more life out of that computer or gadget if you buy it at its most expensive. You'll replace technology at the same intervals, just time shifted to the end of the release cycle... but you'll be able to afford more machine, more goodies, etc. this way rather than being a first mover.

10. leandroc76 thread starter macrumors regular

It's a joke... I'm getting an iPhone... I'm just announcing it in my own way... seeing that I don't have any mountains to climb up to announce it the world.

Plus I love lectures on life... everyone has answer...

what's yours?

11. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Second this quote. Buy what you can afford. But if you absolutely can't fight the urge like 99% of us on here, buy the damn thing. Treat yourself. Enjoy it.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See that is the problem, it is only a little voice in the head telling him not to.

While the electronics lust is likely to stamp that little voice into scattered electrons.

Plus money wants to be spent, at least until you can accumulate several million of them together in the same spot.

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

$400 is dirt cheap for the greatness of this phone.

If you have to think about whether you can afford $400 on a phone then pass and get a tmobile teenie-bopper sidekick and maybe get the next iphone.

But seriously, i bought at $600 and thought it was worth every penny... at $400 it is a now brainer IMO.

14. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

15. KittyToy macrumors 6502

KittyToy

I'm here to Say Buy It, Buy It , Buy It.....oh Yeah BBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUYYYYUY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTT:rolleyes:T!

16. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

I agree, but $400 is still $400.

Agreed.

I paid $600, too... but I have no kids, few expenses, and my wife and I make pretty good money. The problem right now is that studies have shown that kids have developed thanks to the credit explosion a sense of entitlement... More kids now than ever before think as though they are rich, spending more money on expensive brands than ever before. They believe that outward exhibition of wealth is equivalent to success.

The failure is ours ... We are not teaching kids to be prudent, to be investors rather than borrowers. And it is reflected in the fabric of our social policy. We'd rather run a deficit and make our kids pay for it than invest in their future with social programs that will educate them into affluence.

This is going to end up costing our society hugely...and it already is. The cutbacks in science and math education have put us behind a number of European nations who, as Europe continues to organize itself as a super-nation, will surpass us as the greatest economic power in the world.

The instant gratification mentality began with us, in the 1980's, and the failed ideologies of Reagan and Thatcher whose generation got extremely rich off the backs of poor, uneducated masses whose lack of fiscal wisdom was exploited by those who understood the Time Value of Money equation but evangelized us into doing the exact opposite.

17. jolton macrumors member

There's no other phone out there that will give you the same experience as the iphone.

$600 or $399, doesn't matter. It's well worth it.

18. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

So you want affirmation because of a gadget? I think this is the problem... more than appreciating the actual technology, most people are buying the iPhone and buying it early because they want something as vacuous and intrinsically worthless as bragging rights.

Mind you I paid $600 for the iPhone... but I think people need to be perfectly honest with themselves about why they want one. I wanted it because I am a huge supporter of this type of interface technology. That's it... I have no functional or pragmatic explanation. Some people try to say "it's worth it" but what do they mean? $400 is still $400... So why don't they just come clean and say, "I want to be able to brag to my friends that I have a shiny new toy."

I'm not saying it doesn't have its uses... I find it very useful. But let's be clear that I bought it because I want to evangelize the user interface concept. I could have used that $400 for something wiser, and I recognize that.

I just don't like when people say "it's worth it" because what they really mean is that it's worth the bragging rights just to have one... they don't have any detailed analysis of YOUR finances and your needs to know whether or not you actually will draw worth from it and what that worth consists of.

19. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Avatar74, I agree with your comments 100%.

The kids. They are not all right to use a Who term.

20. iMACTASTIC macrumors member

a box full of crap

I have had a cell phone since radio shack first started selling phones for sprint. I will say this, in that time I have had just about every new high tech phone available. I was thinking the other day about a phone sprint had about 6 years ago it had a camera that you attached to the charging port. What a piece of crap it sounded cool then but besides the picture quality it didnt work for sh@#t. I have had many phones since including palm, pocket pc and so on. Never really being able to do the things i needed it to do. 2 months ago I decided to get a blackberry 8830 because i had 8 months left on my contract. I thought this is it. Nope it dials random numbers in my pocket, when im on calls the person on the other end can never hear me, it cost 20 dollars extra for the data plan than any other phone on sprint and so on. sad to say i have a box full of crap phones.

Just got the iphone, WOW it does everything i need it do. It does everything the blackberry does. But it does it all better. with or with out 3rd party aps this phone is the best phone i have ever had with the exception of my first cell phone when all i wanted to do was call someone. What i like most about this phone is its so easy to use.

How many phones can ship with out an instruction manual?

Its worth every penny and if your not sure buy a refurb from the apple site for 350.00

I already have plans for this phone when the new one comes out and cant wait for the subnote.

21. leandroc76 thread starter macrumors regular

That's cool, I'm just an excited old dude... can you blame me for wanting bragging rights!

22. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Don't worry about it. That's little league action here. I knew people who spent upwards of $1500 bucks to import the Moto RAZR well before it premiered here in the US. That's approaching big league....I won't call it waste, because if they have the money, why not?

I'll put it this way....if you're young (18 or under), are you paying your bills? Are you really able to afford it? If so, then why the hell not? If you're over, I'd say use my friends test on whether or not to buy something:

1. Do I REALLY want it?
    2. Are my bills being paid, my financial committments fulfilled?
    3. Do I have food on the table, clothes in my closet?
    4. Am I seriously investing for my future?
    6. Can I get it without causing a problem with 2-4?

If you can say yes to all of the above, then do it.

23. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I don't think he was talking about buying it on credit, but rather buying a different phone and then later wishing he had gone with the iPhone after all. At least that's how I read it...

24. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Yes, I can. :p

Should I blame you? Well, society has a lot to do with creating the interest in bragging rights... the media certainly exploit this tendency. When I was a kid everyone wanted Mossimo and Bugle Boy and Generra... now they sell that crap at K-Mart for a fraction of what it used to sell. I paid $500 for the Nokia 8800 which turned out to be one of their worst designs from a reliability standpoint, but at least I was cool, right? Wrong... that phone went from $1000 to $500 to $250 to discontinued in less than a year. It was the biggest piece of crap phone I ever had. Granted, the iPhone is a better device but my point is that bragging rights last you about five minutes before nobody cares that you bought it.

The thing is... if you really think about it, bragging rights are kind of absurd. I dunno, it used to seem cool and now it just gets old because every five minutes there's something else. This is coming to you from someone who once spent $23,000 in one month on gadgets. Either it gets boring, or you are never satisfied, or both.

If you don't know how to be satisfied without, you'll never be satisfied with.

25. wongulous macrumors 6502a

I just don't know how anyone can justify AT&T. It's the biggest cost here, and it's NOT in line with other providers in terms of minute price, much less is their LEVEL of service consistent with other major US providers. Their data plan for the iPhone is great, but you're way overpaying for minutes.

iPhone + ((monthly + taxes + extra fees) * 24)

Let's say you pick Sprint's regular plans. You could get a Treo, an alright smartphone+PDA (that's not replacing an iPod's functionality, multi-touch, or anything with Safari obviously), for $349 and then get a $100 mail-in rebate so $250 (and you can even get another $50 bill credit, bringing it down to $200, and if you tried really hard, a similar referral credit as to what AT&T offers). I'd say that it is worth about that much in comparison to an iPhone consider what it lacks and what it also has to offer uniquely. Still, you'll really need an iPod touch to make yourself completely happy, so let's add in the cost of buying the 8GB iPod touch as well ($300), so $500 total. A little bit more expensive, but you're getting two devices.

(Note: come October 14th, there will be the Sprint Centro, which is essentially the 755p in a more sleek, slightly smaller package, and it'll only be $99, so even less expensive.)

Now, the most expensive part, the plans. I personally like the Sprint Employee Referral Offer plan (or SERO), but that's only available if you can get a Sprint employee's email address. For $30 a month you get 500 minutes, free nights and weekends at 7pm, unlimited internet, and unlimited free text messages. Or if you need more, there's 1,250 minutes and all the same perks for $50. You can google it and find out more if you want. But comparing apples to apples means using Sprint's regular rates, which really aren't that bad. Both Sprint and AT&T have a 450-minute plan that's $39.99, but Sprint offers you unlimited (as opposed to a fixed amount on this low-end plan) nights and weekends, plus they start at 7pm, rather than 9pm--a whopping $9 more monthly with AT&T.

Sprint's internet choices, of which there are 4 or 5, vary in price from $15 to $25. Sometimes they make smartphone buyers get the $25 one, which makes there only about a $4 difference between Sprint and AT&T with equal internet and equal nights and weekends--but the internet is ironically far more useful with the iPhone but far faster with Sprint. It is very easy, if you have a Mac laptop with Bluetooth, to use the Sprint internet on your laptop (anywhere) with a simple little modem script for the Treo or any WinMo phone. With that $4 I can get a text messaging plan that gives me more than 2.5 times the number of text messages I get with AT&T. So the tradeoffs are small but there.

Really in my case I want two lines with either 1000 minutes per line or 800ish per line and 7pm nights.. but with AT&T their family plans cost tons more than other providers.

Then there's Sprint's plan policies, for instance with overage. Instead of $0.40/minute for overage, it ends up being only $0.10/minute when purchased in the Fair & Flexible $5 chunks the way Sprint does it.

Personally I'm waiting for the Centro and I'll get it and an iPod touch and have spent either the same amount of money as buying an iPhone or $100 more for 16gb, and I'll have a service that works where I go in my city, has better nights and weekends, way cheaper service by the tune of like half per month plus unlim text (again that's with SERO) or at least marginally cheaper ($4/month adds up).

Tiny, but I suppose it also matters that the Sprint ETF is $50 less.